Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have 1 female yellow lab and 1 female perlmutt (among a few others). I plan to get a good size group of yellow labs once I transfer to my new tank in hopes that they will breed. Do I have to worry about crossbreeding here? Any advice or expertise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Chad

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think it`s a fairly good chance that they hibridize. They aren`t that much unlike and both are Labidochromises.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that really true that ANY two mouthbrooding cichlids can breed? I understand that if two cichlids look dissimilar, the chances that they will breed is small. So, in my case, it sounds like if I have a group of labs along with my one female perlmutt, chances are that they will crossbreed.

Thanks for the responses! Any other info would be great.

-Chad

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
cichlidChad said:
Is that really true that ANY two mouthbrooding cichlids can breed? I understand that if two cichlids look dissimilar, the chances that they will breed is small. So, in my case, it sounds like if I have a group of labs along with my one female perlmutt, chances are that they will crossbreed.

Thanks for the responses! Any other info would be great.

-Chad
Unfortunately it is true that any two mouthbrooding cichlids could breed with another. When you have plenty a male, and a number of females, along with fish that don't look too similar, or aren't closely related, it greatly reduces the probability. When you have a perlmutt, that looks quite similar to a Yellow Lab, and seems to be closely related, you have a high probability risk.

Heck, I've seen a Tropheus x Melanochromis auratus hybrids, which seems to be about as unrelated as you could get... but in the absence of the correct mate, they cross bred.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts