Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these two which I am not sure what exactly they are.

1. I was thinking it was a Kenyi at first but it does not have any dark stripes nor aggressive at all like some of the Kenyi I have seen. As a matter of fasct this guy or gal gets chased around the tank a lot. It was labeled as a red zebra which I doubt it is since it looks more yellow than orange.

2. I don't have a clue what this is but my wife thinks it looks like a tinfoil barb which it kinda does but alot darker...and it's driving me crazy when she claims it is :x

any help will be appreciated.....thanks guys and gals.

Also let me add this one also which looks kinda pinkish

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nice looking fish!

The first pic, the orange fish looks like a metriaclima msobo female.. I would say it's a female but it's very hard to figure out what exact fish she is.. There are alot of pseudotropheus and metriaclima females that look almost identical.. Males all vary in color and patern..

Not to sure on the 2nd fish but i'm sure someone will help you..

3rd fish looks like another metriaclima type.. Possibly metriaclima callainos..

If your getting these fish from your LFS in the mixed african tank.. It can be really hard to tell exactly what you have.. They are usually bred in large numbers and mixed bred fish are usually the result...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stefan the first one and the last one were both in the same tank with a bunch of Red Zebras ( which I'm still confused why they call them red when they are orange ) but those two really stood out in that tank.......Thanks for the reply also

G

·
1 probably is a red zebra they come in a few diff color morphs ranging from orange to red

2 is a copadichromis borleyi aka red-fin borlyi.. probly a female

3 i had one that looked exactly like this... i thought it looked more like a pseudotropheus species than a metriaclima... kind of similar to a pearl zebra.. i had one that was almost peach but it got an infection and went belly up.. probly a hybrid of some sorts i had got mine out of an "assorted cichlid" tank

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
1 is baffling... does have the shape of a Red Zebra, but the pic looks golden yellow, more like a male Kenyi like you said, but isn't. As said, a M. "Msobo" is also a possibility... doesn't seem to match any exactly. :-? Probably a poorly bred Red Zebra or a hybrid.

3 is a "Red Zebra" MALE, no doubt. They can get pink and white like that naturally.

2 is a Red Fin Tin Foil Barb, well known for their cichlid mimicry of the species Copidichromis borleyi. :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fish one and three both look like red zebras to me. Fish one looks like a female and three looks to be a male. Just my two cents I'm still new at this. But I have one of each that look very similar. Good looking fish though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The firstnis a red zebra 100% the second idk and the las one looksnkinda like a juvie snow white scofoli to me as i have a few thatblook similar sometimes shades of light pink-white

·
Registered
174 Posts
I second the last one being another red zebra...I have seen color morphs all over the place, and also owned two almost identical fish, both males, and both got quite large.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies people much apprieciated.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts