Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this at a local pet store sold as an electric yellow lab. But upon further evaluation, he does not have black on his fins and he is a much deeper yellow, amost orange, compared to my other electric yellow labs. I'm assuming it is male because he has egg spots. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! They do have horizontal strips of white/pale yellow dots. So I guess it could be a zebra hybrid.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Definitely not a pure Red Zebra at all.
Yellow Labs do have sort of a shiny "bumps" look while Red Zebras have more of a "flat" color, so that is a Yellow Lab trait.

It's definitely not a natural Yellow Lab and probably a hybrid. Seems to lack black pigment, are the eyes lighter than black?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eyes are black with gold ring. I found them in another pet store as well being sold as assorted African cichlids. This guy was in there too. No idea what he is either. Very aggressive. I had to isolate.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kprice14 said:
Eyes are black with gold ring. I found them in another pet store as well being sold as assorted African cichlids. This guy was in there too. No idea what he is either. Very aggressive. I had to isolate.
That is a Kenyi, and I'm not surprised you had to isolate them, they are super aggressive

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pictures at the top of the feed, are those of a male kenyi? If so, why would the female be so aggressive towards the males?

·
Registered
47 Posts
No the ones on top are some kind of lab hybrid looks to me like red zebra x yellow lab. That Kenyi looks like it is a male. I say that because I see yellow coming out in it

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Kprice14 said:
The pictures at the top of the feed, are those of a male kenyi? If so, why would the female be so aggressive towards the males?
Are you asking if the Yellow Lab hybrid is a male Kenyi... no they are not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ugh ok thank you everyone! Anyone know what to do with a fish that doesn't get alone with the others and the pet store won't take it back? I really don't have a set up for long term housing for the kenyi and he keeps attacking my poor berivis!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts