Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-? Hello - I am a brand new member. Anyway, I've worn out my Google finger trying to get an answer. Can larger yellow labs be kept in the same tank as smaller ones?

Here's the situation - I purchased three young (about 1-1/2 inches) yellow labs about a month ago. Two died within a week of each other, :( but the third seems to be doing fine. I want to buy two more yellow labs, but a little older and larger.

Is this safe? Are the larger ones likely to eat the smaller one? There are plenty of hiding places that a larger fish couldn't get into, if this helps.

·
Registered
176 Posts
matters how big the larger ones are but if the small one is 1.5in you should be good

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The labs we may buy tomorrow are about three inches or so. The one in my tank is about 2 inches, maybe a little shorter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have a 30 gallon tank with several masonry bricks broken up + stacked to make hiding places of various sizes + shapes.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum. :thumb:

Larger labs should be fine with smaller ones if your 30G is also 30" long, but I would not add any more fish after this purchase. The tank is the very smallest that I would consider for mbuna.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! Yes my tank is 36" long. No, I don't plan on having more than three cichlids total in the tank. I put in a few more rock/brick hiding spots too so everyone can get their own area.
I'm pretty pumped up about getting more later on today!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hang on, you said two of them died within a week of each other, close to purchase time? How did you cycle your tank?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have 4.5 inch labs in my tank with others that range from 1 inch up to 3 and they all do fine with one another.

·
Registered
796 Posts
My male Lab was 4 inches & I added 5 juveniles with him at 2". They did just fine with him in my 55 gallon tank. I've since had an incident where the females are old enough to breed & I had to remove two hybrid labs that were fighting with my pure male for rights to the girls. He died the day after I sold the hybrids to someone (yes they know they bought hybrids). I dont know if he died of injuries from the dominant hybrid or from a rock while chasing the hybrids around. Looks like the 5 young ones are 2:3 as 3 of them have bred now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I currently have 6 or 7 inch male lab (the biggest one *** ever seen) He has 3 smaller 2-3 labs with him. he throws his weight around but nothing out of the ordinary. I would say yes you can mix them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When we got to the pet store, the larger labs were pretty aggressive. We ended up getting two about the size of the one already in our aquarium. After a few hours, all three have their hiding spots picked out and are getting along.

How long until they are settled down enough to eat? :-?
I tried, but they were not interested in eating yet.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've had large and small yellow labs in all my malawi setups and never had a problem. I had a group of ten in my last setup including two males.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
In a 36" tank I think you would want more than 3 labs. I'd go for 5 minimum and maybe even 6 or 7.

If they don't eat after 24 hours you may have an illness.

·
Registered
801 Posts
oldfella1962 said:
When we got to the pet store, the larger labs were pretty aggressive. We ended up getting two about the size of the one already in our aquarium. After a few hours, all three have their hiding spots picked out and are getting along.

How long until they are settled down enough to eat? :-?
I tried, but they were not interested in eating yet.
Just give them some time and don't overfeed them. Some people think this can help your fish settle down, but it can also foul up your water quality with any uneaten food becoming waste.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts