Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at our local store today and there is an Assorted African Cichlid tank with various unlabeled species. I have been looking to get some red zebras and some of them snow whites. Any chance these two could be some of them?

The specs are just algae growing on the tank, the fish seem to look ok. No sunken bellies or anything and seem to be active.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These photos arent the best I know. Will try and get some better ones the next time I go in there if no one can ID these with the given pics. Sorry for that was in a big hurry so I just ran back there and snapped a few and ran away.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
When the fish are in a mixed tank there is no guarantee they are not hybrids. It's pretty hard if not impossible to make a visual ID of a pure cichlid. Those appear to have at least some metriaclima estherae.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the pictures are a bit blurry so its hard to tell exactly, but the bottom fish in the top picture could very possibly be an albino red zebra. The red eyes are a good determining factor in that it most likely is albino and I have an albino red zebra looks exactly like yours mystery fish. As for the top fish, id like to say its a kenyii cichlid but I don't see any barring. Does the yellow fish have black horizontal bars on him? If it were a kenyii it would have five distinct black bars that are pointed at the end running from top to bottom on the fishes body. Can't be a lab because the dorsal fin has no black in it, maybe a hybrid since it was in a "mixed" african tank. A LOT of lfs will put hybrids that obviously cannot be identified onto a species in tanks and label them mixed africans.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is my vote Pseudotropheus yellow zebra. Could be the albino as well. Also known as Pseudotropheus zebra fusco or try Maylandia Barlowi. Just my guess...Thanks for the brain candy :wink:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both fish have no barring what-so-ever on them. The albino is just pure white with a few egg spots on the anal fin. The other is just that bright yellowish orange color also without barring. Typically I would even think about getting fish out of these tanks but they are marked to down to $3.99 each so if they are what I was after it may be worth it. Gonna try and go back there sometime today and see if I can get some better shots of them and further inspect them. May even print off some photos and bring them with me for comparison. (I dont mind being that "weird" guy staring at the fish every once in awhile! :wink: ) LOL

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If it's a chain store, it's highly unlikely to be unusual species. They have a limited supply pool vs a LFS.

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
probably just a mediocre Red Zebra, and maybe an albino Solocofi or albino Zebra. Not really a deal, even at 3.99.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some more pics of the fish to be ID'ed.

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
Albino Metriaclima sp. zebra complex. Damaged dorsal may not heal totally. The face and body do not look like a decent Snow White Socolofi.

second one a common mediocre Red Zebra.

How many dead fish are in that tank? Is that a dead Pleco stuck to the filter?

·
Registered
874 Posts
you should really remove those decomposing fish and give your tank a cleaning before you worry about fish species identification

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes that is a dead pleco on the filter. Was a little disappointed when I was in there today and seen that. There is another dead one laying on the bottom of the tank too. That pretty much sealed the deal for me as to not get these guys. :( Around me that price is a pretty darn good one for any type of Cichlid really. I really need to find a decent breeder in my area or something. At least I now have an idea as to what the zebras and socolofi look like in person now so I can spot them in the future. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Given it's a chain store, it's just a red zebra (metriaclima estherae) - the color washing out appears to be from the camera, not the fish.

No, a 3.99 fish (in that condition/quality) is not worth it - you only have so many fish you can put in your tank. Be picky.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Mudkicker said:
you should really remove those decomposing fish and give your tank a cleaning before you worry about fish species identification
Should read the thread before assuming. It's a store's tank.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Mudkicker, yes it is a store tank and not my own. That would not fly in my tank for sure. Im sure it was an honest mistake and will let it go this time. :wink:

I get the complaint all the time that my dogs and fish get treated better then my GF. :thumb: I say she can take care of herself, while these guys depend on me.

·
Registered
874 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
@Mudkicker, yes it is a store tank and not my own. That would not fly in my tank for sure. Im sure it was an honest mistake and will let it go this time. :wink:

I get the complaint all the time that my dogs and fish get treated better then my GF. :thumb: I say she can take care of herself, while these guys depend on me.
my mistake :oops:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
GTZ said:
Mudkicker said:
TLDR syndrome.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Glaneon said:
GTZ said:
Mudkicker said:
TLDR syndrome.
I admitted my mistake, was your comment necessary? You just could not resist posting a totally useless post. :thumb: Good Job Glaneon!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mudkicker said:
xxbenjamminxx said:

my mistake :oops:
No biggie, I was just giving ya a hard time Mudkicker. No hard feelings.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I didn't see your reply honestly (when i hit the update it was on the 1st page and your reply was on the 2nd page). I wasn't trying to be an ***, just funny :)

I find it a bit ironic really :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts