Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
why do you think it isn't a Flowerhorn? Many hybrid breeds can throw the occasional fry that one says "wow, that looks like 'x'! "

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Flowerhorn, no doubt.
I supose it is possible that it has argentea genes since a flowerhorn is a cross of many CA cichlid species. But really, I think any resemblence this fish might have to an argentea is purely superfiscial.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I see nothing to suggest anything other than argentea. Do you think it's a flowerhorn just because he has a big hump? He's a foot long male, and argentea do develop humps. Add food that enhances the hump - and there are foods marketed for this - and you have an exceptional male argentea. Adult argentea lose most of the black markings on the body, and become a big, silvery fish with one or two black spots in specific locations, which this fish has.

This is a photo of Dan-Ye Jennings' male from 2006 ACA convention, he was only about 8-9 inches.

Please tell me what about the OP's fish, BESIDES THE HUMP, makes you think it's not argentea?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Chromedome52 said:
makes you think it's not argentea?
True, many very mature cichlids will lose some of the markings that are generally typical of the species. But the fact that there are no small black dots, anywhere, on the body or fins, would really make me question that it is an argentea.

The body shape, mouth, snout and face...... apears to be identicle to that of many flowerhorns. Can't say I have ever seen an argentea, let alone any Veija/Paratheraps with quite that body shape, face, or snout.

The marking on the shoulder apears to be ocelated..... more like a flowerhorn; unlike an argentea.

The coloration is very blue rather then yellow, as well as the eye is blue. Though that could be due to the lighting.

G

·
lol i was like huh about to look up the profile for that then im like ohhhhhhhhhhh thats a joke hahahaha.. the moonwalk.. i get it.. i know i ruined the joke by explaining it but whatever lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
Actually, I can see the small black dots on it early in the video (about the 0:06 mark), before it gets into the bright light that washes out most of the color. The black argentea spot does not look ocellated at all to me, not sure how you see anything like that. As for the head shape, other than the size of the hump, it is identical to the photo of argentea that I posted. A little deeper bodied, as most mature and overfed Vieja are.

If you Google Image Vieja argentea, you will see that older fish are far more silvery. And argentea DO have blue/silvery eyes. If you Google Image Platinum Flowerhorns (and they may even be partially based on argentea), you will see that they have RED eyes, not blue. So again, I do not believe it is a flowerhorn. It is an exceptionally large and well developed male argentea.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Chromedome52
Although argentea can have a large nuchal hump, have you ever seen one that large? Add to that the lack of full peppering and this fishes unknown origins and you cannot rule out possible hybrid. The blue eyes do not rule out flower horn... I've seen yellow, blue, etc though it is obvious that breeders favor the red eyes.

I still suggest to the op that they answer the question I posed...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Chromedome52 said:
Actually, I can see the small black dots on it early in the video (about the 0:06 mark).
True, you can see 4 larger black dots and a few smaller black dots on the upper part of the body; but nothing on the fins.
I supose , just by chance, a CA cichlid could end up having the same body shape, mouth and snout as a flowerhorn. CA cichlids are all very, very similar. Seen many older black belts and synspillium with huge nauachal humps .......but they look nothing like this fish in terms of body shape, snout and face. Could be a very mature argentea, but really, I'm not convinced :lol:

·
Registered
912 Posts
How about the broad black forehead mark, another argentea characteristic? It's so stretched across that nuchal hump that it's a bit pale, but it is evident. And the smaller face stripes are present as well. And look again at the dorsal, there are some small spots visible along the base of the fin.

If the fish can have a nuchal hump, it can have an enormous nuchal hump. The size of the hump makes the shape of the head and mouth look off, but they are not. As I noted before, there are foods, often used by Flowerhorn keepers, that will enhance the growth of that fatty tissue. And if they encourage growth of the fatty tissues, that will include making the fish somewhat obese. I would say the fish is fairly old, given size and shape. Diet does influence the shape of Vieja greatly. Given that Flowerhorns come from CA Cichlids, I'd say they resemble the shape of their ancestors, not the other way around.

The reduction of variable characters on an individual are not really proof of hybridization, only of the possibility, and the variations on that individual are well within parameters for the species. And again, Google Image search, and you will see a great deal more variability in this species than most realize it is capable of.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
What you say is all true chromedome but as you admit, it's also true for the reverse... This could be a flower horn that resembles one of it's ancestors. I will admit, it's a guess either way but when trying to label a fish of unknown heritage, you need to go with the higher probabilities in all cases. The higher probability answer is that this fish is a flower horn. This is why I asked for more info from the owner... What info is there that this fish isnt a flower horn?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Let's see, a fish that has all the characteristics of one species and no evident characteristics of any other species, is more likely to be a hybrid than to be the species that it looks like. :?

I GET IT! IT'S A PODPEOPLE FISH! :roll:

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, IT AIN'T A PLATYPUS.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Chromedome52 said:
Let's see, a fish that has all the characteristics of one species and no evident characteristics of any other species, is more likely to be a hybrid than to be the species that it looks like.
it has abnormal characteristics... We've pointed those out. 2 really odd characteristics as well. Your hypothetical explanations of those characteristics are improbable IMHO, but possible so the OP owes us more info.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
For a Vieja argentea that sure is an impressive hump.

Is a big hump but nothing in comparison.
Or is it a duck? :wink:
All the best James

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Great example James... that is what I expect a mature argentea to look like.

What it comes down to is this... we all know (every line breeder can share an example of this) that any man made breed can suddenly throw out a genetic throw back. These genetic throw backs sure look like one of the ancestral parents sometimes even match so well that no "expert" can spot the differences. If the OP was on here saying that his fish "should be pure" as it was bought as pure and the owner knows the breeder, then I might be on here suggesting what Chromedome is. We'd be even more set if the owner shared with us some other info like yes, this fish has always had a funny looking face and yes, they've fed him foods that might explain the anomalies.

However, the OP has not shared any further info...

If the OP never returns, then I'm likely sticking with the most probable explanation of the two anomalous characteristics... this is a genetic throw back showing IMHO, 3 Flowerhorn like characteristics not regular for Argentea.

It is a guess though, and Chromedome's guess is equally valid (just less probable in my opinion).

Hope that helps out. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts