Cichlid Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello is someone know I have two jack dempsey in 100 gallon tank and their ph is 6.6 been for long time but now they got little cloudy eyes and look sick and someone told me it's because ph is 6.6 and JD needs from 7-8 ph
So tomorrow Im gonna raise it with baking soda is it a good idea???

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
In a word - NO.
The Jack Dempsey, Rocio octofasciatus is a very adaptable Cichlid species that can thrive in water PH conditions from a high alkaline 8.0 on down to a low acidic of 6.0. The most important water consideration for this species is - CLEAN.
So no, don't fight the tap water by adding baking soda, Cichlid Lake Salts or all kinds of other wonderful (sometimes expensive $$$) ingredients. It's just not worth it with this species, and will ultimately cause more stress in these fish than it's worth. So, lets look at some underlying concerns that may be causing these problems (lotsa Q's):
- Tank dimensions?
- Measured Nitrate level of the water (measure this right before a planned water change).
- How often is the water changed in the aquarium? How much each time?
- What are these Cichlids being fed? Low quality, non-variety food sources can cause all kinds of problems.
- What is the filtration for the aquarium? Is there any Carbon or other absorbing filter-type things?
- Can you post up a picture of the problem these fish are having? A visual ID helps a lot more than you might think.
- When were the problem(s) first noted. Is this something that has happened before?
- History: Have they had other problems? Is this the first problem they have had? About how old are these fish?
-
Hopefully we can figure out some things to get those Jack Dempsey's back on a healthier track. :)

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is someone know if metroplex was in dark cold place but it's been opened 6-7 month ago can I still used it???

·
Registered
641 Posts
I don't know. But I wouldn't use it, I'd buy some new.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please I someone else have the opinion about that I need more options
I ordered a new one but I don't wanna lose time

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Mine always has an expiration date on it and it lasts 2 years from manufacture.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not talking about expiring
It's will expire in 2023
But I opened that type with metroplex in June
Can I still use it or it's useless???

·
Registered
213 Posts
The product will be fine. *** used meds well past expiration, previously opened plenty of times. I keep meds in the fridge. More important to realize is that meds will not perform in iffy water conditions. Water must be toxin free and low(under 20ppm) nitrate. No need to waste what you have. Use it.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
Soran, can you please answer the questions Auballagh posted as they will be extremely important to help figure out what is going on with your fish.

It's possible the issues are related to water quality, especially if you haven't been doing regular and consistent water changes or filter maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I would definitely use it if it was not expired.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No more than 10-15% a day. "Slowly, slowly, catch your monkey"
as the old proverb goes. Making massive water changes will expose the fish
to a dramatic change in water chemistry that could be dangerous.
Please is that true???
Because I always change 75 % of water

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
If your parameters match there is nothing wrong with massive water changes. This way the fish is not exposed to a dramatic change in water chemistry.

The trick is to make sure the parameters match. It is true if you never change your water and nitrates are 80ppm or high, I sudden dramatic reduction in nitrates can kill your fish.

If you change 75% weekly your nitrates are low and the new water will closely match.

Don't forget about other parameters like temperature and pH.

Consistent water parameters is one reason people advise to keep fish appropriate to your tap water. Same water out of the tap every time, so if you change 50% or more weekly and consistently then all you have to match is temperature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.