Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a holding Demasoni.

I was wondering, if I transferred her to a 24g tank by herself, would she create enough "waste" to keep the tank established? The 24g tank has an Emporer 400 on it that has been running on my already established 75g tank.

It will be in there by itself and the tank will already be established before I put her in.

Thanks,
pdub
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
When she's holding she's not really generating much waste. If you want to keep the tank cycled just keep feeding it as if it had a regular fish load.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I put some Danio's in the tank with the holding Demasoni would the Danio's eat the new fry that will eventually be tank mates?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
pdub said:
If I put some Danio's in the tank with the holding Demasoni would the Danio's eat the new fry that will eventually be tank mates?
Yes, they would.

And the holding female might not take too kindly to company.

I use a male betta to keep my hospital tank cycled, then I can move the guy back to his betta bowl when I need the tank for cichlids. He likes it, I like it, and it's worked for years! :lol:

If you use filter media from an established filter, your holding female will maintain your cycle just fine. They do produce waste - they don't go into complete shut down mode while holding! :wink:

If you can't use established filter media from another tank, then just do daily water changes on her tank. You won't have to do much of a water change, just 25% would be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
I am not sure I would put a Beta in a tank set up for Africans. Beta are really hardy fish, but the water parameters for Africans are totally different from Betas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
CichlidWhisperer said:
I am not sure I would put a Beta in a tank set up for Africans. Beta are really hardy fish, but the water parameters for Africans are totally different from Betas.
I've been doing it for years, CichlidWhisperer. :thumb:

Tank raised fish are tank raised fish. It's really easy to overanalyze it all if you want to do that.

Truth of the matter is, bettas are very hardy, as are cichlids...

I don't alter my water for either, and they all thrive and breed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
cichlidaholic said:
If you use filter media from an established filter, your holding female will maintain your cycle just fine. They do produce waste - they don't go into complete shut down mode while holding! :wink:
No they don't shut down completely, but a fish that isn't eating isn't exactly going to be producing loads of waste. It all depends on the level of bacteria you want to maintain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
In the same respect, one fish that isn't eating or producing a normal amount of waste isn't going to throw the bioload of the filtration into a tailspin, either... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris2500DK said:
cichlidaholic said:
If you use filter media from an established filter, your holding female will maintain your cycle just fine. They do produce waste - they don't go into complete shut down mode while holding! :wink:
No they don't shut down completely, but a fish that isn't eating isn't exactly going to be producing loads of waste. It all depends on the level of bacteria you want to maintain.
I want to keep a "level of bacteria" that will keep my fish alive :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,501 Posts
What fish are in the 24G now? If you have one fish the size of your Demasoni Mom, and you are removing them while the Demasoni Mom occupies they tank, and then you put the original fish back, it should work.

If you have 6 fish in the 24G and expect a single Demasoni to "feed" the biofilter for a month, some of the bacteria will die off harmlessly during the maternity stay, and when you return the original 6 fish back, you will likely have a mini-cycle. It COULD be so "mini" that it barely registers on your tests, but you get the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DJRansome,

I don't have any fish in the 25g tank. I'm planning on putting the HOB filter running on one of my established tanks on to my 25g when I put the Demasoni mom in the 25g.

Thanks,
Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
you might want to take notice to how she looks as far as her mouth being swollen chances are she probably is much further than you think. At least IME.....I was really late but did everything just in perfect time.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,501 Posts
pdub the bacteria in your established filter grew to support the tank it was on. If it was the only filter, how many fish were in there? If you go from six fish to one fish...no the single Demasoni will not be able to "feed" the same population of bacteria that were formerly supported by six fish. Some will die off. But some will remain to regrow when it transfers to a new tank.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top