Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 125 gallon aquarium and I have concerns about the floor. I was planning on putting it in my den on the main floor of the house. I have a basement and there are 4 2"x8" boards under where the tank will be placed also theres the subfloor. It's a typical floor I don't know how esle to discribe it. Everything is in good shape.

Can my floor support a large aquarium? Should I have any concerns?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rgr4475 said:
As long as the floor joists run perpendicular to the tank and not parallel you should be fine. Meaning the 4 joists share the weight of the tank.
Yeah they do. I'm gonna post some pics for refereance tomarrow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You're probably fine, but if you want added peace of mind, and if your basement is unfinished, you could get a floor jack from the orange depot. Get 2 2x 8's, nail them together so you have a 4" x 8" x 8', and run it perpendicular to the joists, and put it a little past where the edge of your stand is (say 30" out from the wall) and so it is supporting all of the floor joists supporting the aquarium. You can probably shorten it some, but I'd have it extend 4" or so beyond the last joist it supports on both sides. Now put the jack in the middle and tighten it up, but just until snug - you don't want to raise your floor. Alternatively, put two jacks in - one on each end. Now you've added a beam, and reduced the joist span to 30," which increases its strength, and more importantly, the deflection (bounce). Make sure you do all this before you fill your tank.

I've got jacks under both of my home aquariums. One of them runs parallel to the joists, and before I put in a jack it bounced like crazy when someone walked past. Now, no bounce. The other one - is perpendicular to the joists and probably overkill, but I'd do it again the same way.

Two floor jacks and the 2 x 8's should cost around $100.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts