Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a 75g tank stocked with 6-10 rainbowfish - M. boesemani or G. incisus or M. marci. They like harder water and are mid tank swimmers.
Would they survive or coexist with shellies like multies or occies? how many shellies can live in a 48" 75g?

Canister filtration with 10x gph and aragonite in a bag as buffer. tap water pH maxes at 7.8.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sounds like a bad idea from the lack of responses! :) :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Iggy Newcastle said:
I cannot advise on your stocking question, but why rainbows over a non jumbo type cyprichromis?
Personally, I would go this route as well.

I'd also go multies over occies in a 75 gallon since they colonize, and occies aren't always accepting of their own kind. If you can't find multies you can always go similis, which are very similar. Actually, similis might be better unless you want tons of fry because Similis tend to have smaller spawns.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for pointing towards a kind that I had not considered. The setup will be tanks 6 & 7 and husbandry with 12-18 cyps plus the shellies will need to be top notch. I am not sure if I am going to be able to do that in a heavily stocked tank.
My original plan was 5-8 rainbows and with their larger size and coloration, I could just have a small shellie colony. IF the bows & shellies can get along. Skip Occies as no one has given me confidence to handle their personality and attempt to "rule" the tanks!!
The purchase of the 75g has been driven with rainbows in mind. The Cyps species article did shed a lot of light on their needs and coloration. Are they common in the hobby and readily available without hybridization issues?

Thanks for chiming in - always appreciate the insights I get on this forum :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts