Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was cleaning out my garage and found different pieces of rock but they look like peices of concrete. are they safe for the tank or no?
i also found quite a few pieces of broken tile. are they safe to use to make caves or something?

if they are, how can i clean them properly?

·
Registered
39 Posts
contact your local fireplace store or mason and ask about the pile of broken discarded pieces of granite they have out back from their fireplace finishing jobs. go pick up some nice pieces of granite for free instead of worrying about broken pieces of this or that that may have chemicals and such in them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
cantu1216 said:
is there a way to tell if theres chemicals in them?
Aslong as nothing has been spilled on the pieces you have they should be perfectly safe for your tank. If you are not sure soak them in a water and bleach for about 24 hours then rinse them a few times soak them in a water and dechlor solution for another 24 hours and they should be good. If they have had oils or fuels spilled on them I wouldn't chance it. You should be able to tell this if when you are soaking them and start to get a nasty oily film on the water.
Hope this helps and GL.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I'd just get some fresh clean ones from a landscape supplier.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
With all the limestone around, I would shy away from using concrete as it is more prone to run your PH up higher than wanted. For the oils on rock, bleach will react with oils and make them safe. The way bleach reacts is why it is so handy for laundry if you have greasy clothes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts