Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a box of aquarium chemicals & test kits that were given to me by people that no longer keep aquariums. I'll need something to remove chlorine, etc, from my tap water. Right now I have a newly filled 125g that I will be setting up a filter for & starting a fishless cycle soon. So here are the water conditioners that came in the box. Just want to make sure they're all good to use now in my newly filled tank while cycling and later for water changes;

Seachem Neutral Regulator - says it Buffers at neutral pH; Softens & conditions; Detoxifies chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, heavy metals

Shieldex Water Conditioner - Replace Lost Natural Slime Shield; Chlorine & Chloramine Removal; Help Nitrifying Bacteria Grow in Cycling Aquariums; Fish Stress Relief; Heavy Metal Detox; Natural Healing Promotion

AmQuel Detoxifier - Removes Ammonia, Chlorine & Chloramine

I would only need to add a dose once before cycling then not again until new tap water is used, correct?

Also, when might I need the pH 7.0 Fixit that was also in the box?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have never used either product above for chlorine removal, but have used several similar products in the past, like Stress Coat, Prime, Start Right. These products are all somewhat similar with slightly different claims of what they can do, but I only really wanted to neutralize the chlorine and either one of those will do the same. Use them as directed for chlorine removal.

I am not sure what you are planning to put in your 125, but the Seachem Regulator is a mixture of chemicals to help the tank stay around 7 pH (I did say "help"). I keep my mbuna cichlid tank around 8 pH, so I wouldn't use it for Africans. If you have medium to hard water, you will probably never use the buffer period. Adding the buffer will increase your hardness and I think it also contains phosphates (usually helps algae grow). I hope that helps and isn't confusing.

I have very soft acidic water, before I had African cichlids in my tank I used Seachem buffer to help raise my pH a little and increase the hardness a little bit.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I use Neutral Regulator for my fancy goldfish tank. Works great. My water is very hard and a ph of 8.2 it does "help" as millsb40 stated. Removes chloramine pretty effectively and economically.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my biggest question right now is... should I use/is a water conditioner necessary with an initial fill while running a fishless cycle for a few weeks? Won't chlorine & chloramine dissipate or evaporate in that time? And wouldn't removing ammonia be counter productive to raising ammonia levels during the cycle?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.