Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I remove the parents from the tank and leave the babies? Or do I have to wait for a period of time? they are "free swimming" and eating First Bites so Ide say it would be fine. Just need a professional opinion. Thx again.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Why do you want to seperate the parents? The fry will actually grow faster with the parents then without. Also the parents aggression towards each other when protecting fry will be smaller because they are too busy making sure the fry are doing good. If you place them in another tank the Male will be ready to spawn again and she wont! Therefore you will run into a lot of aggression and will have to seperate them. My advice would be just let everything be and divide them off when they start showing aggression towards each other! Wait until the fry get a little bit bigger then setup a growout tank and just grow up the fry and leave the parents in the tank where they spawned! As much as it seems like a pain in the butt to catch all those fry it actually isn't it takes me maybe 5-20 min!

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
When I was breeding on a large scale I would remove the parents after the fry were free swimming for ten days. BUT the parents went into their own tanks and were treated like royalty for two weeks. By then the fry that were in the original tank were ready to go into something else and the parents (breeding pair) were put back into the tank they first spawned in. But this time they were both big and fat and ready to do the nasty almost instantly!

so if it's tons of fry you're after then use that method. If not, then keep them together as suggested :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.