Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bit of a mess on my hands. I own 6 mainganos and 5 yellow labs in a 50 gallon tank. I had to get rid of a group of elongatus kanchedza because they were almost killing each other, getting stressed, and then bloated. Well all was well for 1 month and then my mainganos started breeding. Everyone is fighting with each other, I had to remove on maingano, and i'm pretty sure mom swallowed her kids. Now I only have 10 fish in the tank fighting with each other, I'm about to re-release the beat up maingano. Now I'm super nervous bloat is gonna break out and i'm lowww on meds. I know I should get more female mainganos. I'm thinking of taking 2 mainganos and 1 yellow lab into my 10 gallon tank and watching them as they might be showing symptoms.

Here's the problem:
Then I'm left with only 8 fish in the 50 gallon.
I have the elongatus kanchedza fry in the 10 gallon. There are pretty small, and I'm thinking about putting them in the 50 gallon so then I have 17 fish. This would cause more stress at first, but I'm hoping it will get better as a temporary fix while I order more mainganos and treating the other ones. They are small so they obviously can't stress the others like their parents did.

Here's the question:
Will my mainganos and yellows eat them? The labs are around 1.5-2.5 inches and the mainganos about 1.5-2 inches. The "fry" are .75-1 inch. I'll post some pix.

Thanks 4 your help! :fish:

·
Registered
169 Posts
In line one you meant 50 gal tank, right?

In my limited experience (under a year) fry that big can survive in the main tank. My young adults argue with each other and tend to ignore the small guys.

But this is just 'so far'. 8)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pack-rat said:
In line one you meant 50 gal tank, right?

In my limited experience (under a year) fry that big can survive in the main tank. My young adults argue with each other and tend to ignore the small guys.

But this is just 'so far'. 8)
lol thanks I fixed it. Glad to hear it, I'm uploading some pics right now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Largest lab

Bigish maingano

One fish I'm concerned about

"Fry"

Mom that was 4 sure holding, but then ate?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts