Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Everyone,

This has probs been answer before but i cant find anything.

Scenario:

I currently have 1 550ltr tank and 4 tanks around the 100ltr mark, they all contain small south/central American cichlids (convicts) BUT the 550ltr tank contains 2 oscars 2 pictus catfish some giant danios and a L114 pleco, all at a good size (this one is kinda of a show tank for my parents). All the tanks only have wood and rocks in so NO plant matter which i don’t know is relevant to my questions.

Current Water quality: Checking the tape water these days and it seems the nitrates and phosphates have gone up. Phosphates are now at 5ppm and nitrate can be between 20 and 50ppm and more (my test scale got 5,10,20,50,110) Water in our around is probs in the middle of soft and hard, can’t tell you the gh or kh because I used up the last of the test kit awhile ago. I feel that the phosphate and nitrate are now to high, I had been using nitrate and phosphate removers which has helped a lot but the cost is soon catching up to me as they are running out quicker and quicker. So i have been saving for a couple of months now can figure i can now afford a 4 stage RO unit to feed a 200ltr storage tank.

The tanks with the nitrate and prohosphate remover are currently sitting around 25ppm for thr nitrate and 2ppm for the phosphate this is when are fed light, which im happy with but will end up costing me in the long run on removers so trying to find an alternative solution.

Questions:

Does a RO filter mess with the ph at all?

How soft does the RO unit make the water? Will Central and South American fish be ok with it?

I have read sites which mention lack of minerals and needing to replenish them but don’t go in much detail; could someone give me some knowledge on this? Also read somewhere that it only affected plants and the fish would be fine?

Could i just pump the RO water from my 200ltr storage tank to my tanks? (Obvously it will be heated)

Think that’s everything but any more advice you could give me will be fantastic!

The RO unit in question is:
http://www.eastmidlandswater.com/Details.asp?ProductID=1468

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
An ro filter isn't a filter that goes on an aquarium... It goes on your tap water to make pure h2o
Does your tap water have nitrates and phosphates it it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Number6 said:
An ro filter isn't a filter that goes on an aquarium... It goes on your tap water to make pure h2o
Does your tap water have nitrates and phosphates it it?
Yea i understand that, i have read quite alot already but i cant seem to get solid answers to my questions. Already have where i would put it in my garage and how to connect it to my water supply and stoarge tank.

If you look at the "Current water quality" section i wrote it says my current water quality thats come out the TAPE as you can see they are quite high.

I understand you trying to help so thank you.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The wording of your post is a little confusing. It almost sounds like you want to pump the water from your storage tank through the RO and then into the aquarium which would not be the proper use.

But I think you meant to say is that you want to pump the RO water from your storage tank into the aquariums.

RO water will not directly affect pH but the water will have all the alkalinity removed from it which means that it will be very easy to change pH up or down. Essentially the water will lack buffering capacity. To counteract this effect you can add some salts and a small amount of carbonate buffer back to the RO water to bring up the TDS and buffering capacity to where you want it.

For the type of fish you keep I would suggest adding some to bring your pH up to 7.0 and maintain it and increase your TDS. Kent RO Right would be a good choice.

Andy

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Perhaps a better solution would be to remove the nitrate from the tap water with a removal product such as Purigen which is rechargeable. It doesn't sound to me like the RO unit is what you need, plus they waste a lot of water and are relatively expensive to purchase. Most people who use RO water in fresh water tanks blend it with tap, generally to soften the water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts