Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
solows10 said:
what would the origin be, on these guys?
Not sure what you mean. Their great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandparents were unwillingly abducted in Lake Malawi. Their parents were bred in some vat or small artificial pond somewhere, then the babies sent to a distribution center, then sent to Petsmart.

If you asking if they are hybrids...
The Red Zebra is Metriaclima estherae, which is a natural fish but they only breed the orange males normally so all the fish start out orange, while in the Lake most males are blue. Yours looks female.
The albino Metriaclima Zebra type is not a natural fish, albinos don't survive in nature. Might be a minor hybrid, impossible to know.
The Pseudotropheus elegans "Acei" is a natural fish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what i was looking for thank you very much!!

Is there a way to tell between male and female other then color?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not sure I'm sold on the Acei identification. I would need a better profile shot, it looks like it might be a hormoned young Aulonocara or Scieanochromis? A better picture would help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
usually you can tell the males apart from the females on the red zebra from the spot on there under finage.males usually have more mine had 5 spots this is what attracts the females to him when breeding as she thinks they are eggs.

·
Registered
843 Posts
It's too reflective/shiny on the face to be an Acei. Plus they don't usually have any barring (that I know of) and this one seems to. We'd need a better shot. The last fish is more likely a hap/peacock.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
toume said:
It's too reflective/shiny on the face to be an Acei. Plus they don't usually have any barring (that I know of) and this one seems to. We'd need a better shot. The last fish is more likely a hap/peacock.
Acei Ngara have barring but its not one of those. Kind of agree it has a young Sciaenochromis fryeri look about it. But its not a pure variant of that one I know of iether.

Bit of a puzzel that one. Maybe one of the Aulonocara x Sciaenochromis fryeri that seem to be becoming so common in the shops.
But it looks more like a Sciaenochromis fryeri x Mbuna cross to me. Though I think these may be uncommon.
If it has been hormoned it should become more clear with time as its genetics show through the "colour and fin size "enhancement" this gives. Far eastern source I guess but then hormone treatment is not illegal in many places.
And I understand that Petsmart buy from pretty much any cheap breeding sources and are not too fussed about selling hybrids or other man made cichlids and/or hormone treated cichlids.

All the best James

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Fogelhund said:
No, definately an acei.
:oops: Agree now. In that second shot it also looks a lot healthyer/ normal :thumb:
Now looks quite a lot like the one in the profiles.
Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1460
Adult male 2
Though for sure not trying to pin a location on it. Too many location crosses and locations I know nothing about for that to be productive with most Mbuna from LFSs/petsmart.

Interesting bit of trivia. These may now have been identified as the real Pseudotropheus elegans Trewavas, 1935
But do check up on that. I may have got it wrong. :oops: :)

All the best James

·
Registered
843 Posts
Fogelhund said:
No, definately an acei.
I don't doubt you, but even with that point(ier) face? I thought Acei had a more rounded/shorter face. . .And it's very dark blue (when I think of Acei as more purplish blue or black). Lucky!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
cjacob316 said:
aren't all "yellow tail" from msuli? you get very different color patterns from the other locations
Dunno mate care to share your knowledge and pref photos of the other locations?
I see other variants with a yellow tail. Some Msuli some others. For sure I dunno em all.
Pseudotropheus sp "acei" Luwala Reef
Pseudotropheus sp "acei" Selewa

For sure it looks more like Msuli than those but very reluctant to guess any Mbuna is a pure variant and try and Id it from a sourse like petsmart.

Just getting a none species cross is I think a major achievement from what I see.

All the best James

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.