Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my current stock list of 14 fish. I want to get 12-14 more Demasoni, 4 or 5 more Yellow Lab's and 3 or 4 more Acei's. Do you think I can fit them all in with my current list?

I have a 75g rectangle tank, an Eheim canister and an XP3 to add if more filtration is needed. I also have plenty of extra rock I can add in for cover.

I also realize I might need to get rid of a few of my current fish but don't really want to. I'm attached to them :)

Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow lab)
Psuedotropheus Demasoni (Pombo Rocks)
2 X Psuedotropheus sp. “Aceiâ€

·
Registered
493 Posts
I did something similiar to what you want to do, i had like 15 or so in an 80 gallon, including labs, dems, cobalts, red zebras, and socolofi, and I added 11 more dems, 4 cobalts, 3 socolofis, and 3 labs, and I intend on removing some of the species i already have. So my number is like 38 right now, with xp2 and xp3 filters.
So far I havent had any problems. I just thought id give my opinion.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I wouldn't add anymore fish until you decide where you want to go with the tank.

Right now, it looks like you want one of this and one of that, in which case you should go all male with the tank. If you do that, you'll only want one of each species, and no two species who look too much alike.

If you are interested in breeding you've got some big decisions to make. I wouldn't house more than 4-5 breeding groups in a tank that size, and you'd have to be very careful which species you chose to eliminate risks for crossbreeding.

If you increase the group sizes of the Yellow labs and acei - the more passive mbuna species, you're going to have all kinds of problems with crossbreeding from those "singles" you've got, not to mention the fact that they will all be crossbreeding with each other unless they are all males.

I think you're already pushing it with your stock, so if you want to keep what you've got because of the species you've chosen so far, I wouldn't add up to 23 more fish to the mix.

As these fish mature, problems are bound to arise. It's easier to fix it before those problems start, because with the aggression you'll have alot of stress in the tank, leading to health issues and losses.

Kim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments.

Kim, I actually inherited a lot of these fish from a friend. He liked the diversity of fish.

I think long term what I want to do is go the Dem, Yellow Lab, Acei or Caillanos route.

I like the color mix of those fish.

I guess what I think you're suggesting is that if I want to go that route I'll have to get rid of some fish or start another tank for the singles?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
pdub said:
fish.

I think long term what I want to do is go the Dem, Yellow Lab, Acei or Caillanos route.

I like the color mix of those fish.
You could probably do all 4 species successfully in your 75. Just make sure you have enough Dems and that the Callainos have a good sex ratio. I have a very simialr setup in my 75. Labs (8 ), callainos (7- 2m/5f as best I can vent), acei (8-the black with yellow tails for a better contrast to the callainos ) and instead of the dems, I have a group (2m/4f) Cyno. afra "Jalo Reef" It has been humming along for over a year. There are actually still 4 adult female Ps. socolofi, but they are soon on their way out.

I guess what I think you're suggesting is that if I want to go that route I'll have to get rid of some fish or start another tank for the singles?
Thanks.
Sounds like an you need to do an all male peacock/hap tank. :dancing:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Mbuna don't work as well in an all male tank, they do better in groups.
Haps/Peacocks do very well in an all male environment.
I prefer the later because I don't like keeping 16-20 of one species, I like variety in my tanks.
My 180 has 20-25 different all male haps.. all different, which to me, is much more appealing that a tank full of demasoni. Oh.. I do have one demasoni in the tank as well.. he kind of lives in the rocks in the bottom with the petricola. Kinda of cool...

·
Registered
830 Posts
if you know an LFS is good and will work with you try this...

trade in the fish you do not really want for store credit and have them order you the fish you want. you may end up paying some $$ but not as much as buying them straight out.

its and idea to help trade up to want you want.

also i would go with 3-4 groups in your tank. mbuna work better in groups instead of singles. not that it cant work just that it is risky. labs, acei, demasoni, and socofoli would be a nice mix. 6 labs, 6 acei, 15-18 dem, and 7(2m/5f) socofoli and you should be good to go :thumb:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Dem, Yellow Lab, Acei or Caillanos route.
Like Malawilover said these four fish work very well together. Callianos will work with 1 male best the rest females

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm going to end up doing what dreday suggested and trade some of my single fish in for store credit.

But I was wondering, since many of my current fish are adult size, if I trade most of them in for store credit would I be ok buying juvenile sized dems, acei's and labs if I currently have some other adults sizes in with the new juvie's?

Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
yea, but no smaller than 1". they should be fast enough to survive. also if you rearrange your rocks to have smaller caves and holes for the little guys to hide in will help too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts