Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked in my tank 10 mins ago and my most beautiful and dominate male acei was on the bottom upside down. His lips looked a little torn up and his extended fins were a little frayed too. I scooped him up and put him in a tank by himself but it's probably too late. I'm pretty sure that its too late but I was just wondering anything else I can try? It's not my water, I'm pretty sure he just got overthown is all. I was looking forward to breeding him too because he was the best i've ever seen.......This is definitely a low point in the hobby.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Awwww I hate to hear that, sorry. Maybe put some salt in the water and some Melafix. Dissolve the salt in water first. I'm thinking 1T. salt per 10g. water but check the amounts first, this might not be correct. I'm going by memory here.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put in some melafix right away but he's still not looking good. He turns pale white then back to purple and he still has some movement but it's not getting any better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
melafix is great for injured cichlids!! I swear by it, I would if it helps in the next day also ad pimafix for the possibilty of a secondary fungal infection from the wounds...

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
lots of oxygen too.air stone, plashing filter ect...what are his tank mates?i lost my female acei but i stripped her of eggs and now have 40 or so of her babies.we're hoping yours pulls through.our male is one of our favorites.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well he showed no improvement at all so now he's gone. Poor guy, he was tank boss but he never hurt anyone and barely chased ever. He would mostly just flare his fins in the middle if others got too rough. He wasn't that damaged though so I'm so surprised this did him in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts