Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had an idea because of my rocks tub.

If I get another tub could I cycle my Emperor 400 filters in a rubbermaid tub? I would think that I could, just add ammonia and cycle fishlessly in the tub.

The reason that I want to do this is that I have my tank but I'm not ready to set it up yet. I am building an in wall tank and it is going to take a month or so to get it setup.

Fishless cycles take 4-6 weeks so if I could start it in the tub that would be awesome!

I realize that I won't be able to take the filters off of the tub and put them straight on the tank and add fish but I'm wondering if I could reduce the tank cycle time once it's set up?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
suds1421 said:
I realize that I won't be able to take the filters off of the tub and put them straight on the tank and add fish
Actually, I can't see why that wouldn't work. I have pulled a filter off an established tank plenty of times to put it an a new one, and added fish straight away, even if the new tank just had dechlorinated tap water of the right temperature in there. The same should work with a filter that has been fishless cycled on a tub with ammonia.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
fmueller said:
suds1421 said:
I realize that I won't be able to take the filters off of the tub and put them straight on the tank and add fish
Actually, I can't see why that wouldn't work. I have pulled a filter off an established tank plenty of times to put it an a new one, and added fish straight away, even if the new tank just had dechlorinated tap water of the right temperature in there. The same should work with a filter that has been fishless cycled on a tub with ammonia.

Best of luck!
Correct!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Agreed this should work because you're controlling, somewhat, where the bacteria colonize by limiting the surface area outside of the filters. It becomes a 'maybe' when moving filters from a long established tank because the majority of the bacteria may actually reside in the rocks, decor, etc., depending on how the filter is stuffed, and maintained. In your case, you're only losing whatever would be on the tub sides, which should be minimal.

Keep in mind that if you're not fully cycled in 4 weeks in the tub, you won't be in the tank either. But, yes, you will cut 4 weeks off total time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts