Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a group of 4) 1.5" stappersi shellies & placed them in a 20gal long - they bicker often but there are lots of shells. One of the 4 has not appeared in about 4 days - even during feeding. I'm assuming it got stuck in a shell & died. So now I think I have 3 stapps. unsure of M or F. Although the tank looks great, I'd like to have more fish in it. I

I tried adding a misplaced 1.5" peacock and the peacock was harrassed badly til I removed it 2 days later. Maybe if I add more than one fish something could work...

Can I add any of these fish successfully?

6 Placido Phenochilis 1.75" (until they are 2.5" & can be moved to my 125gal)
or
2 Similis shellies (who have been in a 10gal by themselves)

or some other cichlid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You could try a pair of the smaller juli's like ornatus or transcriptus or gombe. n. caudopunctatus could work as well. I'd probably not mix shellies in that size tank. Non-cichlid dithers would be another option.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant believe it!! :dancing: I just got these in January and tonight when I looked closely, I saw tiny fry peeking out of a shell!

Can anyone help me out with what to do next? Are they as self-sufficient as multies? I did shoot a little live baby brine with a turkey baster into the shell just in case.

Do they grow about the same rate as multies?

Also, do you think its possible that the 4th adult that I havent seen in almost a week could be far in the shell with the fry even though there is one guarding the opening? Because I thought that one guarding was a male... dark striping etc. The shell is a 1.75" whales eye snail shell, so its not real big ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts