Discussion Starter · #1 ·
55g

- 5 labidochromis hongi

- 5 metriaclima zebra red top

- 5 Tropheus Duboisi or 5 labidochromis caereleus

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I would choose Labidochromis caeruleus over Tropheus duboisi. The Labs are much easier to keep, less aggressive fish, and they fit in well with the other two species - all of them being mbuna from Lake Malawi.

Tropheus come from Lake Tanganyika, and are a lot more sensitive to water conditions, food type and quality, and so on. Before you keep Tropheus, you really want to study up on them, and dedicate an entire tank to them to house a larger group.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can i have 4 species in here, to breed them

- 4 yellow labs
- 4 metriaclima red top
- 4 labidochromi sp. hongi
- 4 melanochromis cyneorhabdos

1 plecostomus

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The red-top, you are referring to: Metriaclima Greshakei?

There would definitely be crossbreeding.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Personally, in a 55G I would go with two species of mbuna. Three at the most. In my humble opinion four is pushing it in a tank that size. I find that trying to cram too many species into one tank is a common beginners mistake. People often assume that more species will make a tank more enjoyable to watch, but fewer species means you can have more individuals of each. With fish like mbuna larger groups mean you will observe more of their natural behaviors, which in my view makes for a more interesting tank. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I agree that M. greshakei and L. sp. "hongi" are too similar-looking to be a good mix. Besides, you're getting some pretty drab females with those two species.

M. zebra red top could also refer to M. pyrsonotos. I don't know anyone who has kept that species but it looks like a handful for a 55.

What do you have available to you?

kevin

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My Met.Greshakei cross-bred with my yellow lab. I don't even know about the hongi.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its not the greshakei it is the pyrsonotos

What about with these:

5 yellow labs

5 maylandia pyrsonotos

5 labidochromis hongi

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
pakash said:
5 maylandia pyrsonotos
It's not Maylandia it's Metriaclima!!!

Just kidding, fish joke. :lol:

Two of those species are definitely on the aggressive side, but if you're happy with that combination it's worth a try.

With the Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow labs) one usually needn't worry about male/female rations. With the pyrsonotos and hongi I would try for 1m/4f or so.

This combination could easily produce hybrid fry, so I would let females spit in the tank and not save any fry. Even better, get some Synodontis multipuntatus to do the job for you.

kevin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts