Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 20gal Long tank, and just got 4 young, around 1-1.5" in size Red Zebras. I have read that you should overstock your tank w Cichlids to disperse the aggression, but is that true w my size tank? If yes, what type of fish and how many more should I get? I would love to add variety & color to the tank if I can add more fish. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am aware that my tank is too small for cichlids, but as of now don't have any more options to go bigger.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I would not put red zebras in a tank smaller than 48" x 12" no matter how many you stock.

I would not put any Malawi in a 20G Long tank...just too small.

How about some Tanganyikans instead? Shellies would be a good option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As of now I have a 20gal long tank w 4 small red zebras, I can not change the tank size at the moment. My question is should I add additional fish now or keep it as is & wait & see what happens as they get bigger to decide what to do? I have tons of hiding places and aggression is at a minimum for now.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Do not add fish.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Markye247 said:
As of now I have a 20gal long tank w 4 small red zebras, I can not change the tank size at the moment. My question is should I add additional fish now or keep it as is & wait & see what happens as they get bigger to decide what to do? I have tons of hiding places and aggression is at a minimum for now.
Deciding what to do is easy, the tank you have is not appropriate for Mbuna. Red Zebra are fairly aggressive fish ( I keep them) and will need a tank at least 4 feet long; I would recommend a 75 gallon tank, then you could look into adding two or three more species.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Markye247 said:
I would suggest returning the fish then... there' no aggression because they're not mature yet.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Unfortunately, you're likely to end up with only 1 zebra once they mature a bit. Males will start fighting around 2.5" in my experience. Even if you have all females they'll still kill each other off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the advices so far. I have an update where I am planning to get a larger tank, 55, 75 or maybe alittle larger tank. I have read that you should introduce early on the tank mates instead of adding it later. My question is now that I am planning to get a bigger tank, should I add more cichlids to the 20g long tank now so the 4 other red zebras get familiar with the new fishes, or wait once I have the new tank to transfer the 4 zebras and add new fish then? If the answer is yes, what tank mates you recommend? I would ideally like to have variety and different colors in there and maybe even breeding. Don't want to make any hybrids, so I know not to get yellow labs at least. I read they tend to breed w red zebras. Currently my red zebra are still juvenile, around 1-2 months old.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Wait until you have the larger tank set up and cycled. Then you could consider Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusties) with the red zebras a.k.a. Metriaclima estherae. Also a group of Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue would work with the other two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.