Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of putting a Bristlenose Pleco in my 125 gallon mixed Malawi tank. My concern is that my fish eat virtually everything that I feed them with no food remaining on the bottom at all. They even love algae wafers. I am not sure how I would get food to a pleco and he may starve once he ate any algae or biofilm that exists. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
They find enough to something to survive. You can add algae wafers in the dark if you are worried.

·
Super Moderator
40,490 Posts
Agree. I seldom see my plecos eat. As long as their bellies are plump, no problems.

I would not add one fish though...wait until the next time you add 3-5 fish.

·
Registered
767 Posts
We have 35 to 40 bristlenose plecos total in our various tanks. Most come out and feed at feeding time. Some are even so bold as to compete with the africans for the food.
Noki is correct, add the waffers in the dark if you want to supplement their feeding.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. In the reply that stated do not add one fish, and wait to add 4 or 5. Did you mean just not to add a single fish, or to add multiple Plecos? I may add a pleco with one other fish soon, but I don't intend on adding many more fish for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
40,490 Posts
I would do 2 BN in a 125G but would wait to add them until you can add more than 2 fish so the newcomers do not get singled out.

A way to accomplish this if you have enough fish would be to remove 3 fish for a month...then add back the 3 you removed along with the 2 new BN.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Chow time in my aquarium is chow time for everyone.

Back when they were juveniles, my plecos (I have two) would swim on their backs at the surface to eat. Later, they would trap pellets on the glass and eat that way. Nowadays, they mostly vacuum the substrate.

Like others, the algae wafers are eaten by the fish as well, so it's not specifically for the plecos. In fact, I only throw them in there once a week or so as a treat since the plecos don't seem to mind eating fish food.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I feed my bristlenose plecos zucchini slices (no skins, they do not eat the seeds). I wrap an elastic band around the slice and a thin stone so it sinks. This works well in tanks where the other fish do not like zucchini. But I put a BN in a tropheus tank with zucchini and the tropheus ate the zucchini before the BN came out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts