Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided to try and vent it. Simple enough for a 5 inch fish, but there's papilla or whatever ya call it, not just a hole :eek: I am used to mbuna, they are easy. I am so friggin lost on this one! I know there's sites for it, but being my first time seeing this, I don't trust my own judgement.

ok venting pics:

any ideas?

G

·
You can clearly see eggspots and red on the anal fin...

Definitely a male judging from the anal fin and genital pores.

~Ed

G

·
Dave said:
Marduk said:
You can clearly see eggspots and red on the anal fin...
~Ed
Eggspots are seldom a good indication of sex.
True since a lot of females of rift lake sp's can have some eggspots, but with Haps (including peacocks) lots of bright eggspots with a bright pointed anal fin is a good indicator of males, though venting is the best and most effective way of sexing both sexes.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, took a pic this morning, his fins are a little tattered. I couldn't get a pic of him like that yet. The dorsal looks like it may be pointed, but right now it's kind of beat up.

not really sure if these are eggspots or not

Just my first time venting a non mbuna.
He's just over 5 inches now, sometimes shows hints of blue, if it is a "he" shouldn't he be coloring up by now?

·
Registered
80 Posts
IME with venustus, the Nimbo's are a "breeding dress" fish. meaning they will color up for a short time looking to mate. once done they will return to normal colors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts