Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions about this fish.

1) Is it A labiatus or A citrinellus or a mixture of the two, or neither?

Question 2) this fish is roughly 6 inches, is this the colour that it will stay, or can they peel when older/adult size?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Unless you purchased the fish from somewhere like Jeff Rapps (or another very reputable breeder/supplier) as a pure fish of either species, it's almost guaranteed to be a mix of the two. Finding pure labiatus or citrinellum is extremely difficult. Yours, however, has more of a labiatus appearance.

It's most likely going to stay the colour it is now. They can change quite a bit when juveniles, but at 6" it has probably hit it's adult colour. There's always a chance though ;) If you feed it some colour-enhancing foods, like krill as a treat, you may be able to get a stronger orange.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you SinisterKisses, You confirmed what I expected. I thought it to be more labiatus than citrinellum, I was hoping to get a bit more orange on him, but if not that's fine. He does eat Krill, bloodworm. shrimp and Cichlid gold pellets, oh and the occasional earthworm. He is a great fish with lots of 'personality' :thumb:

·
Registered
162 Posts
First of all, it probably a mix. Of what, who knows in todays market of hybrids.

I think it has its mature coloring.

Does anyone know how Purple Rose Queens are created?

Nice looking fish!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would say Labiatus or a mix of midas and red devil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts