Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,206 Posts
It is an Aulonocara peacock, or hybrid of the same. Due to the dark colouration in it's face, I'd suggest it was hormoned at some point, but that has worn off. Certain wholesalers hormone their fish to make them more saleable at an early size. Even females can take on male characteristics. Unfortunately it also can increase the mortality rate of these fish. Outside of that, providing an ID will have to wait until the fish colours up again, assuming it is male, and pure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,748 Posts
Fogelhund said:
Unfortunately it also can increase the mortality rate of these fish.
You know I can not disagree with this but I would love to see some evidence.
All the things I look up say no long term damage but its not what I think.

All the best James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,206 Posts
24Tropheus said:
Fogelhund said:
Unfortunately it also can increase the mortality rate of these fish.
You know I can not disagree with this but I would love to see some evidence.
All the things I look up say no long term damage but its not what I think.

All the best James
I guess empirical evidence. A number of friends manage stores, and I see the fish come in.... they lose A LOT in the first few days, and it is most often those that are the most hormoned (coloured). This is quite regular with the OB peacocks and fryeri that come in... other peacocks too. Other fish that come in the shipments non-hormoned will not have near the mortality rates.

I've been tempted a couple of times by the most gaudy of the OB's, and unfortunately they rarely survived.
 
G

·
Fogelhund said:
It is an Aulonocara peacock, or hybrid of the same. Due to the dark colouration in it's face, I'd suggest it was hormoned at some point, but that has worn off. Certain wholesalers hormone their fish to make them more saleable at an early size. Even females can take on male characteristics. Unfortunately it also can increase the mortality rate of these fish. Outside of that, providing an ID will have to wait until the fish colours up again, assuming it is male, and pure.
also from what i read when they hormone females they become sterile and will not breed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
m1ke715m said:
Fogelhund said:
It is an Aulonocara peacock, or hybrid of the same. Due to the dark colouration in it's face, I'd suggest it was hormoned at some point, but that has worn off. Certain wholesalers hormone their fish to make them more saleable at an early size. Even females can take on male characteristics. Unfortunately it also can increase the mortality rate of these fish. Outside of that, providing an ID will have to wait until the fish colours up again, assuming it is male, and pure.
also from what i read when they hormone females they become sterile and will not breed
I can attest to what fogelhund has witnessed through my stores in the east. I have bought a few of these just to see what they end up looking like. Some of the lesser colored males that are hormoned are females, and I have bred 2-3 of these with no issues.

Steve
 
G

·
well i know for instance the woody or wuddy strain of ruby red peacocks i think from thailand.. or some farm somehwere all the females would come over and be sterile.. i have some juvies growing out. the kid bred a male with a regular ruby red female.. so i guess it depends on what hormones and how much they are feeding. but this is all hearsay so i dont really know either way :wink:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top