Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on one of these post that you can put 10-12 African Mbuna males alone in a 55 Gallon tank.

Is this true? If so Can they be random mbunas or just certian kind? like Kenyi's or Chipokae's
I wasn't sure if this was true so i though i'd ask?

i'd like to have

-Chipokae-
-Kenyi-

togther could this work? :-?

·
Registered
214 Posts
havent kept an all male tank but i know Chipokae's are some of the most aggressive cichlids there are so I would imagine they would not work together very well, let alone all males.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Also after seeing 12 6" males in my 75G, I think I would limit to 8 in a 55G.

It's almost impossible to tell what will/will not work for an all-male tank. But since a 55G is pushing the envelope for smallness and mbuna are more risky than other all-male tanks...I'd probably go conservative and avoid the really aggressive mbuna.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'd say yes depending on the species. I probably woudn't do 12...maybe 10 in a 55 gal. I have an all male mbuna tank that works just fine (up and running for about 1.5 yrs) below are the species that I have. I can't say that this would work for other peoples tank but I've had very little problems. The biggest thing to remember (if you decide to go all male mbuna) is to add the least aggressive first and most aggressive last. Also, try and get them a juvies for a higher chance of success. Here is what I have (all males) with thier sizes

1. Met. Greshakei (Ice Blue) 6in and Dom male
2. Met. Callainos (Cobalt) 5in
3. Met. Estherae (Red Zebra) 5in
4. Met. Sp. Zebra Long Pelvic 4in
5. Met. Aurora 3.5 in
6. Ps. Acei 6in
7. Ps. Polit 4in
8. Met. Msobo 2.5in
9. Lab Caerules (yellow lab) 5in
10. Lab Hongi SRT 2in

As you can see I still have a few juvies so I don't know how well my tank will be in a yr or so, but most of these guys have been together for well over a year with no problems.....good luck with whatever you decide :thumb:

·
Registered
448 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
The reason that tank works, esp, is because none of them are chipokae or kenyi. Those two species are why his stock will never work in a 55g.
My bad :p I should have stated it a bit different....lol..... I agree w/your statement....there is no way that a "All Male" 55gal tank would work with those two species (chip/Kenyi) but he could possibly try some calmer mbuna for a chance at success :thumb:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Chipokae & Kenyi all male... Welcome to Fight Club.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts