Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I ain't sure if it is a good one or not!!

Recently changed my tank over to a Malawi set up, sand, rock etc.

So far I only had 2 Yellows Labs and 2 Kenyi (which will be going back soon).

I came home to find out the other half had taken a trip to the LFS for a wee late Xmas present for me, some new fish!!

I have questioned her choices as I would much prefer to have researched any new additions before adding them however, the dude the assured her that the following stock would be OK in my 55g (it's UK Gallons so for anyone State side I reckon that's 66g or so? Feel free to correct if wrong)

So what I now have are;

2 Yellow Labs
2 Kenyi
2 Red Zebra

That's the ones I know the name of. They came from a poorly labeled "mixed Malawi" tank.

Also in there are;

2 Blue that look like the Yellow Labs (with the black tips of the fins etc)
2 Small black fish that the dude in the LFS said would, when mature, turn purple with an orange dorsal fin.

Can anyone identify my mystery fish? Done a lot of looking but I am unsure.

Obviously I am grateful for the gift from the other half but I am worried that

a) I am gonna end up overstocked and;
b) I could end up with some fish carnage

Cheers for any help :thumb:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You're already looking @ carnage - mbuna aren't pairing fish (they need a ratio of at least 1m:4f), and Kenyi will destroy everything in that tank when they mature.

The blue ones are Ps. socolofi. The black ones are probably Lab. "Hongi" All of your fish will be okay in that tank except the aforementioned Kenyi, but you'll really want to bump those ratios up. Once you have 1m:4+f for each, you'll be fully stocked and should have a successful tank.

·
Registered
148 Posts
the blue ones sound like socolofi, the ones that turn purple with an orange dorsal may be hongi or rusty, most already have some color tho. what youre gonna hear is dump the kenyi, the zebras and labs will crossbreed, and dont distribute fry from the tank. it wont be overstocked so you could add more, after you take back the kenyi. after you are sure of the sexes you will want to get the male to female ratios right. there are plenty of articles to read here so get busy. good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, quick responses, cheers guys.

Like I said in the OP, the Kenyi are going back to the LFS at the weekend. Do not want them starting any trouble!

I will then work on building up the ratios.

Just need to sex the buggers now!! :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right been looking at the fish, trying to work out sexes but with the Socolofi and Hongi, well they are too young to tell I reckon.

As well, it seems difficult to work out the rest although I think with the Zebras and Labs I have 1 of each.

So that is 8 fish in there at the moment.

I think the plan will be to buy 3 more of each, taking me up to a total of 20 fish (as I will be removing the Kenyi).

Will this be a fine level of stocking for the tank size?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 55g (uk) aswell, how many fish can i have in a tank this big?
At the moment i have
3 yellow labs
2 red zebra
3 demasoni
3 red top hongi
3 eb johanni

They all get on fine at the moment, although they are no bigger that 2.5" yet.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yes, 5 of each for 20 total will work. The labs you'll have a hard time sexing. Hongi males will color up, females will stay drab, so that will be easy. RZ males turn more pink, while females retain that bright orange color. Socolofi can be a little tough, but usually males will start "acting like males" soon enough. ;)

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Sounds like a total of 25 fish to me. What are the dimensions of the 66G tank?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts