Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
40 days ago i picked up a supposed breeding pair of black pearl calvus at an auction. i have given them 2 shells barnical clusters and 2 caves useing big pieces of slate. the female hangs around the slate and the males around the sponge filter. they are in a 48"x18"x18" aquarium. they show no interest what so over in each other. i was just wondering if they have had enough time to get comfortable and start breeding or am i just being impatient. im a little skeptical because i dont think many people would sell a breeding pair but it was the only fish i was interested in at the auction so i risked it.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
calvus are generaly lowners outside breeding I think. I do not think Altolamps form strong pair bonds like many other Lamps.
Hence you can often breed them one male to a bunch of females.
Ignoring one another is not all bad. Female should come into breeding condition faster if the male does not bully her.

All the best James

·
Registered
318 Posts
Try some dither fish in with them - maybe a few cyps, or even sword tails/danios.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I'd wait six months before worrying.

Not sure about the ventralis combo in a 4' tank.

My calvus had a choice between ceramic calvus caves, large shells and rocks. They choose the shells. I do see breeders using whelk shells standing on end for them.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
DJRansome said:
I'd wait six months before worrying.

Not sure about the ventralis combo in a 4' tank.

My calvus had a choice between ceramic calvus caves, large shells and rocks. They choose the shells. I do see breeders using whelk shells standing on end for them.
I use Tonna "Tessalata -Large" for calvus & comps with excellent success with both species
http://cichlidbreeding.com/products.php?cat=10&pg=3

My calvus have a harem situation with one male spawning with five females.

Female guarding eggs/fry

Couple spawning

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea if i could find some more mature females i would grab a couple but there was only the pair at the auction

1 - 9 of 9 Posts