Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my "mega mom" calvus female. She is a great spawner and usually gives me very large spawns. This pic, of her guarding eggs, was taken last week. This morning, when I fed my tanks, I noticed a few little calvus fry swimming about. I quickly removed the spawning shell and dumped all the fry into a 10 gallon nursery tank (which has another recent spawn in there too). I've got one more female guarding a shell with eggs - I'll put those fry in the nursery tank too.

Altolamprologus calvus black congo white pearl (she's a pretty girl)

Here's a pic of the dad

Couple pics of the current batch of F1 fry

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Wow - those are nice fish! I am currently making my first attempt at breeding Altos. Mine are Goldhead Compressiceps. I have had them for more than 5 years, and they have spawned numerous times, but I had them in a 240G with Frontosa, Julies, Leleupi, and lots of other Tangs. I never had any surviving fry in that tank. Now I have moved a trio of the Altos to a 75G by themselves. They are still adjusting to the new tank, but I am hoping that I can eventually end up with a fully stocked fry tank like yours :thumb:

Mom truly is a stunner :drooling:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Do you have any problems with your comps excavating around the shells? My male digs away all the sand and then the shells fall over. I replace the sand and he repeats.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Mr Mbuna said:
Do you have any problems with your comps excavating around the shells? My male digs away all the sand and then the shells fall over. I replace the sand and he repeats.
My male Calvus has done that in the past too, but not in a manner that topples the shell. My guess, he’s making an area to contain the free swimming fry? If it gets too annoying or you think the female may end up trapped, you could always silicon the shell, standing on end, to a piece of slate.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am even more impressed with your camera wrk... Great pics!!!!!!!!

That is very common for the male to dig around the spawning site. I made a silicone base for my spawning shells. That way they stood up without any sand at all. Either that, or switch to the calvus caves.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
She is absolutely gorgeous!!

Are you removing the fry to their own tank to avoid being eaten or to have more control over their water quality and more frequent feedings?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deeda said:
She is absolutely gorgeous!!

Are you removing the fry to their own tank to avoid being eaten or to have more control over their water quality and more frequent feedings?
Thanks for the kind words Deeda :)

Yes, I found fry swimming outside the shell this morning so I moved the fry to a 10 gallon nursery tank. She had another large spawn (well over 100). They joined another group of fry that was spawned last week. I have one more female guarding eggs and by this time next week, I would suspect her fry will be in the 10 gallon tank too. That's it for any new fry - I can only handle so many at a time without losing my mind.

What I do as far as feedings and water changes is:
Tank B: has the older group of calvus fry which are about 1.5" I have been power feeding that group the past few weeks and doing 40% water changes every two to three days. This creates some very low nitrate, tempered water, for the water changes for the 10 gallon (new fry) tank... Tank D. The tempered tank water for water changes seems to help cut down on fry mortaility. I feed new fry Hikari First Bites which is absolutely perfect for very tiny calvus fry.

When they are large enough, I switch them over to NLS Grow and supplement with a crushed omni flake.

For anyone who may be curious:
Tank A: 55 gallon tank with wild calvus (6) & gold head muzi comps (2).
Tank B: 55 gallon F1 calvus fry 1.5"
Tank C: 20 gallon F1 comp fry (Chaitika orange fin) - less than 1"
Tank D: 10 gallon F1 calvus fry (nursery)
Tank E: 30 gallon F1 comp fry (Chaitika orange fin) - 1.50+ inch

Click picture to see larger image

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kolopedo said:
I am even more impressed with your camera wrk... Great pics!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much - your compliment put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fmueller said:
Wow - those are nice fish! I am currently making my first attempt at breeding Altos. Mine are Goldhead Compressiceps. I have had them for more than 5 years, and they have spawned numerous times, but I had them in a 240G with Frontosa, Julies, Leleupi, and lots of other Tangs. I never had any surviving fry in that tank. Now I have moved a trio of the Altos to a 75G by themselves. They are still adjusting to the new tank, but I am hoping that I can eventually end up with a fully stocked fry tank like yours :thumb:

Mom truly is a stunner :drooling:
Thanks fmueller! Megamom is a stunner - shes my best looking calvus and she has the largest pearls of the group.

Good luck on getting fry from the Gold head comps. My gold head muzi comps have noooooo interest in spwaning :( I think they want theri own tank.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr Mbuna said:
No, my comps don't care about the shells - they just stick to their preferred rocks.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a pic of Megamom - she is out and about feeding aggressively now that she has no fry to guard.
She is a pretty girl (my favorite calvus in the tank).

Altolamprologus calvus black congo white pearl - wild female

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
:eek: I LOVE CALVUS! After all these years of keeping all these fish I still love Calvus the most for every reason. Their slow growth and high fry mortaLITY mean they will always be somewhat rare I think, at least big ones will be so I think that makes them fun to have.

Major Beauties Razzo, great shots, the whole deal just awesome! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Thanks for the info Razzo.

Also, thanks for posting the pics of the tanks. It seems smart to keep the tanks close together for transferring fry to their own tank and I really appreciate the advice on using the low nitrate water from the grow-out tank instead of fresh treated water.

I also didn't realize that the Hikari First Bites was that small. I thought the NLS Grow food was tiny. I actually picked up some decapsulated Brine to use for my Shellies when they had fry. It seems to be working well for me.

Dee

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just love calvus black congo. I`m breeding with mij Alto comp red fin right know. But I still want to have a pair ore trio of these guys in my big thank.

After how many day`s do you remove the shell because the little guys are hatched?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
when you see the fry swimming at the entrance of the shell, it is time to remove the shell with the fry in it to the fry tank

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BioG said:
when you see the fry swimming at the entrance of the shell, it is time to remove the shell with the fry in it to the fry tank
I agree! They will start wandering beyond the shell opening very soon after you first see them and they will get gobbeled up PDQ if you don't act quickly ;)

Russ

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want to seperate them before they are wondering of. Because I have 2 eals and 11 syno`s in the thank :lol: I saw a young today but he had a very big egg sack. And the mother spit him out deep into the shell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts