Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm just wondering if it's normal for calvus to look a little queasy (on bottom of tank, gasping, fins clamped) after a larger water change. One of mine is getting over an eye infection, and I've been doing pretty large, frequent water-changes, and they don't look very good after. Is that normal?
I know their sensitive, but THAT sensitive? Is there something I'm doing wrong? (I do use a water conditioner, and the other fish in the tank are fine, it's just the calvus...???)
Thanks again for your help!

Manoah

·
Registered
13 Posts
jrf said:
I typically do 50% water changes twice a week and they seem fine with it.
jeees guys isnt that to much, to change tiwce a week half of tank water? Every 10 days 30% water change plus FFM or what else u guys use to contain cloramine etc, and fish will be ok, thats to much water change and to much stress, if u feed em correct amount of food and have good filtration fish will be healthy, to much water change imo is nood to god also and can cause in some cases that fish gasp on bottom if its not treated with ffm, due cloramin poisonin etc, i may be wrong but still...

@Manoah Marton - u say ur calvus feels liek this after water change, well theres ur answer, either u change to much water in to short time period, maybe wrong water conditioner or ur tap watter is wrong (contaminated with to much cloramine or some other substance).

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Mine aren't sensitive at all, never have been, but some have reported that their's are. Has to be differences in source water, but couldn't tell you what that difference was. If it were me, as a test I'd find a way to store and circulate the water for a day, if you're not already and see if that made a difference. After that, you could try a water filter of sorts. I'd want to get rid of whatever was not agreeing with them. Large water changes dillute dissolved organics and should benefit the fish as long as there are no irritants, or whatever, to bother them. Unlikely that it's anything easy to determine and measurable by hobbyist test kits.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Frankly, 30% every 10 days seems a bit light to me. But, that all depends on your stock list and nitrate levels.

Admittedly, 50%, twice a week is a bit excessive. However, in my case, I have a very low kH and I’d rather keep the pH stable with water changes as opposed to buffering. Chlorine and chloramines are only an issue if you don’t properly pre-treat the water. In most situations, water changes are a good thing. They replenish buffers, remove DOCs, and replace used up trace elements. It’s not something that causes undue stress and should, therefore, be avoided.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh...problem solved itself. Left for a few hours, came back and everyone's fine.
And to clear it up...100% water changes a day is NOT too much. If you subscribe to 'Tropical Fish Hobbiest' and read their articles on 'A Mathmatical View of Water Changes'...there is no such thing as too many water changes. I can explain all the reasoning and thought behing that if you want, but for now, it's just logical to think that keeping your fish in an environment with the minimum amount of dissolved wastes is far more preferred to keeping them in high-waste environments. :wink:
Thanks for your input everyone!

Manoah

·
Registered
803 Posts
The only time I had an issue with mine was in the winter and the water company 'accidently' added extra chemicals. Other than that haven't had issues as long as the temp and ph were pretty close to the tank levels.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I have read about people who find their calvus unhappy after a water change. To the point where they use water from another tank for the change rather than tap water.

Mine are fine though...even with a 90% change and even juveniles. I have never raised fry.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting...so I'm not the only one. They just seemed really 'out of it' for a few hours after the change, but now their fine. Oh well...guess they'll just have to live with it. (I mean, once they re-acclimate, they get super clean water...) I think It's just like a re-acclimation. Whatever.
Thanks so much...again,

Manoah

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Mine tend to sulk if there is any difference in the new water to old, temp, pH, KH but not otherwise.
But kind of hard to keep these exactly stable unless you pre age your incoming water.
Think that is the secret of doing good large water changes. Only thing you change is the DOCs and nitrate level. :wink:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I change about 20-30% a week. Tangs can be sensitive to ph or temp. shock. I siphon out tank water, fill buckets with new (warmer than the tank) water, treated with seachem prime, then check the buckets with a digital "instant read" meat thermometer. When the buckets have cooled down to within 2 or 3 degrees of tank temp I add the new water.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I change 50-75% every 1-2 weeks, depending on my schedule. I've had terribly sensitive calvus, and some that could care less. Right now I've got a beautiful group of juvies I'm growing out that never showed transplant shock and don't even hide during large water changes.

I can't explain the difference as all fish were from reputable breeders, but calvus are known to be sensitive to change. Things that might minimize shock from water changes:

• - Match temp as close as possible using a thermometer
    - Run an air stone/sponge filter during the water change to get atmospheric equilibration more quickly
    - Increase frequency and decrease volume of water changes (20%, 2 days) for awhile to get the tank closer to tap water conditions- then go back to 50% weekly and see if it has helped.
    - Add a little Epsom salt to increase hardness and maybe ease osmotic stress (Use 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of fresh water).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Whenever I do water changes my fish get stressed. I know this because there are color indicators; mainly in my ruby barb that I have. I usually clean my gravel too so I am not surprised they get a bit pissed during the process. I would guess this is normal and so long as they come around in a few hours there is little to be concerned about.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
It's just odd that it happens to some and not others. My calvus love water changes!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did a water change today and it was terrible to my calvus... 3 KIA. I was letting my GF handle it (doh) so she could get familiar with it. She had siphoned about 40-50% from my 125g and added tap water. My black calvus juvies were all at the bottom of the tank looking upset and then they began to die one by one ...

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I have no problems after water changes (but I do not add new tap water directly to the tank, I let it set in buckets for 15 minutes with chem treatment). I also temper it so the temp is close. My tap is overdosed with something that crashes my bacteria colony and wreaks havock on my fish like you describe. I have to let it set for a few minutes with my Ultimate working to get rid of the nasties.

Can't say that I am a fan of how much water you change. To each his own I guess. I change my adult calvus water once a week with about a 35% change. I also vac and clean my filters weekly too and my Nitrates are around 5ppm. I am happy with that and my calvus are too.

I change calvus fry water several times a week for growth.

Russ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts