Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so one of my BC calvus while hovering sometimes will pivot on its head and let its butt float up to about a 45degree angle then straighten its self back out doing that over and over

something like this _ \ _\ _\ (starts out flat goes up then flat again)

is it normal or what the heck is it doing? checked water everything is normal eats fine and does hover normally just curious why it would do that

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
The head-down position is their hunting position. They wait for fry to move and then dart at them.

Mine will pick up leftover food in the substrate. Maybe something is moving in there. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
yup it's the hunting nod all altos do. Although if you have a friend over, start asking the fish questions which can all be answered with a "yes" and you may have some fun when he thinks you're fish can talk! :lol:

I remember learning in college that Rainbow trout see via a 45 degree angle which only maneuverable to a certain point. It was called the "trout window" which explains why they can hit a bug floating on the water without approaching it directly from below it. I suspect Comps and Calvus are working with similar tools.

Put some ghost shrimp in your tank and you'll really see them bobbing! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts