Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently i have an empty 20gal (24x12x16 inches) tank. im thinking of a pair of Calvus (black) and maybe 4 albino corys. would that work? thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Too small for calvus IMO, this is a 6" fish. It would make a good shelly tank.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i second the shellie reccomend. or a species of smaller julie. calvus may take forever to gain size so buying a breeding pair might be costly as well.... GL to ya making ur choice

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually shellies are my first choice for this tank but those are hard to come by in this side of the pond. i really have limited choice for dwarf cichlid for they are not common anywhere here and calvus are the one that i can get

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Go for a 30" tank minimum for a pair of calvus, and I prefer even a 36" tank.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
Go for a 30" tank minimum for a pair of calvus, and I prefer even a 36" tank.
i would love that but i dont have space for another tank right now. the 20gal is only empty so im thinking of stocking it. i never had a tang before. i keep a CA tank, a SA tank and an asian aro tank. but never a tang tank. maybe i rearrange things up in the house and try to fit in a 75gal for tangs :D

thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
You should be fine with a pair in the 20gal. It is a 6inch fish? Maybe a wildcaught male! If you buy juvies itll take em 10years to get that big theyre such slow growers lol. You are dealing with a 2-3inch fish for the first 4 years or so.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I think you'll be ok assuming you've already got a bonded pair? The only issue with tank size I can see is that I have had difficulty getting pairs to form in 30 gallons so I assume 20 is relatively similar.

If I had to guess I'd say Calvus would prefer a bigger setup but they are just fish (VERY small brains) so I think what they don't know won't hurt them in this case. :lol:

If you're really worried just write "55 Gallons" backwards in dry erase on the side of the tank, that way they'll just think they're huge! :lol:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I wouldn't do calvus in a 24" tank either. Too small and I wouldn't thnk the cory's would fare very well. You could do the calvus alone if it was an established pair, but I think it'd be more than a bit dull. I like the 36" tank size for them also so you can mix them with something and make it a more interesting display. There's a big difference between what would work and what would make for a nice interesting mix and display.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
No

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the advice and insights given. i guess my empty 20gal will only be that for now, an empty tank :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts