Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at Calvus for my 55 gallon tank.... maybe comps too if I can find them

my question is how many should I start out with? Tank is cycled and contains a school of lemon tetras.... thanks for the help....

·
Registered
27 Posts
most people start out with at least 6 of each to obtain a pair later. The more you get the more you have to choose from when they start to pair off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is what I have been reading..

so once I have a known pair I should remove the others and stick with the two? Is that right?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
GOSKN5 said:
so once I have a known pair I should remove the others and stick with the two? Is that right?
Males will often spawn with multiple females. You could keep all the ones that end up being females if you want.

I wouldn't recommend keeping comps and calvus in the same tank. Males will view each other as breeding competitors and hybridization is probable.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
At one point, I had 6 calvus (1m/5f) and 2 comps (2m) in one 55 with no problems (well over a year). The comps had ZERO interest in the calvus and the calvus spawned like crazy. It was kinda cool having both species in one tank. I would try it again.

My male calvus has a harem situation - he spawns all five females all the time.

I should admit that Fogelhund's advice is the "rule of thumb" and that is the risk. Just so you know the risks if you chance it. I chanced it and it worked out.

Hope that helps.

Russ

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
..and i've had the exact opposite experience where they did compete and hybridize. Ultimately, is it worth the risk? I suppose if you have multiple tanks, no problem.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Fogelhund said:
..and i've had the exact opposite experience where they did compete and hybridize. Ultimately, is it worth the risk? I suppose if you have multiple tanks, no problem.
I revised my reply while you were posting yours :)

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
My other point, that I forgot to make, was how exactly would one know that there was no hybridization? I mean, if you watch the tank ALL the time sure. But how do you know, one, or a bunch of the eggs weren't fertilized by the other species? It certainly would be darned near impossible by looking at the fry.....

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Fogelhund said:
My other point, that I forgot to make, was how exactly would one know that there was no hybridization? I mean, if you watch the tank ALL the time sure. But how do you know, one, or a bunch of the eggs weren't fertilized by the other species? It certainly would be darned near impossible by looking at the fry.....
It was pretty simple in my case, the male calvus was spawning all over the place, all the time, and the Muzis had ZEROOOOOOOO interest. I did watch that tank quite a bit - as you can tell by all the pics I post :lol:

I also watched very close too because I know the risks and didn't want the comps to kill any calvus.

Russ

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
Fogelhund said:
This is always my worry...I would never feel sure and then I would not feel confident in selling or giving away the fry, even to the LFS.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no problem.... I will probably go with all calvus as they are really growing on me... and my water is just right for them.... thanks for the help...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a mix of comps in with two calvus for about one year now. The tank is surprisingly peaceful, although they do push and slightly chase each other away from their territories. I think having a few cyps helped reduce the conspecific aggression in my tank, but like all set ups only time will tell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts