Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a group of yellow calvus fry about 3 years ago. As they grew, it looked like I had four boys and two girls, based on size and how they got along. The males were fighting so I sold two. I lost a male and female to illness. The last male and female have been the only ones for a year or so, getting along fine, but never spawning. I recently changed the decor in my tank, and now these two are fighting more, and for the first time, the one I thought was female is getting dark in the face. Does this mean she is a he?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don’t think coloration will tell you anything. At times, my female can get darker than my males. The biggest gender difference I see is size. My female is about 2.5â€Â

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Females will have territorial spats too ;)

Sometimes all bets are off when you change decor - they have to re-establish their rank all over again.

I thought I had two male calvus with four females. Even had the two males dueling too with very dark coloration. One male kept growing fast while the other did not. This past month I had five groups of fry spawned from four girls :eek: I think that 2nd male is most likely a female :wink: I would never get rid of fish based on assumed gender - always vent if you get in that situation.

Russ

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's funny, but in the three years+ I've owned these, I just never saw the smaller one go dark before. Had me wondering. While they both have some size by now, she's still a good inch smaller than the male, so I'm still thinking/hoping she's a girl.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts