Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been advised not to keep Enants with most lamprologines but, Knowing my Calvus :roll: , I broke the rules awhile back (I think 3 years ago?) and kept a Group of Congo Black Calvus (Adults 1m/4fm) With a group of Kilesa (2m/4fm). They were kept in an 80 gallon and I actually think there was a lone Leleupi swimming around as wellas a pair of L. Furcifers (Loved those!)...

Anyway I traded the kilesa about a year ago to start a cyp colony but the setup worked well while I had it. Anyone else been able to keep Calvus with Enants? I'm just trying to discern wether this was one of those "Lucky" setups or wether I could feel safe doing it once again?

-A couple variables this time around which may be concerns or may not be:
I only want to interject a pair of Wild Black Pec Calvus, which isn't a big deal however this pair is considerably larger than my former group of Congos. The Congo Black male was 4" and the Black Pec is 6" (I'm aware both variants are from the Congo but for purposes here I thought, be thorough :thumb: ) and much more robust.

-There are 7 Melanogenys whereas there were 6 Kilesa (Again with the "thorough" :D )

-There are, along with the 7 Enants, 18 "Blue Flash Cyps (Not sure what location, most likely Kapemba or Isanga?).

The controls are:
-No other tankmates, other than the cyps (I haven't put the Calvus in yet)
-Same Tank, an 80 gallon bow front, 4' long, 20 gallon sump with 800 gph return (Sump return gauged after deducting head etc.)

My main concern, I guess, is thhe size of the Calvus in this case (I'm concerned that the Enants won't be smart enough to steer clear when the ALtos are spawning even though the plan is to put the Alto's breeding shell in a corner where the Enants don't frequent.)...

It just occurred to me to position the Alto Breeding shell in the Rock work, perhaps at mid-level, to see if, when they spawn the female will, of course, stay near to the shell and thus out of the way of the Enants (My Black Pec female is meaner than most, ime, when shell guarding). The male should, therefore, do his breeding patrol work nearer to the shell as well. Sorry for taking a written moment to think in print :D :oops: !

I'm also a bit concerned about overloading the tank with the 7 enants+18Cyps+2 Big Calvus. what do you think? Too Many?

How cool would it be though if I could, by elevating the Calvus nest, I could occupy the entire water column of the setup? :popcorn:

TIA!

I am still seeking objective opinion on wether this setup is worth trying with these conditions etc.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Never tried it but it does not sound outragous to me. Enants are fast movers but do not bother other cichlids much, calvus are slow but quite nasty only when spawning. Although calvus are rock species and Enants open sand (even the diets are similar though thats never a real problem if the are different) also not a big problem in a reasonable sized tank to give each the environment they need. It sure sounds like something I might try.
Its kind of strange as well because Enants are real quick fish they need to be bred quick and they do not last long (a couple of years at best) where as calvus are real slow growers and last for years but take years to get to breeding size. But thats not a problem as long as you know your Enants need to breed fast or you lose them and the calvus are a longer term aim. The more I think about it the more I like it.

All the best James

1 - 2 of 2 Posts