Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped my female about 2-3 wks ago and but the little yoke bodies into a tumbler for aeration and safety. I only have one tank...
Anyways she was only holding 9, and through a series of events *** ended up with three. This is my first time doing anything like this.. Anyways, I decided today to put them into a net enclosure with slate in the bottom within the parent tank. Sometime later I decided to check on them and one has passed and the other 2 don't look too healthy... :-? :(
What did I do wrong?

also for the time being i put them back in the tumbler, thinking it was best.. For they were rather active before I moved them.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Stripping before they're free-swimming seems to always have an additional risk... If the tank was the same (just a different enclosure) and the move wasn't too stressful, not sure what's going on... Though if they went from active to not active, I bet the move stressed them. And then the move back probably added onto that. Best of luck...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see.. That is the only thing that has changed for them was the enclosure. I now have one and I'm going to be extra careful with him, or her.. When I had nine I was wondering what the heck I was going to do with all of them. Now I suppose I will keep the one and call it Lucky! so cliche :D

What are the ramifications of keeping the young, as far as inbreeding, should it occur? being as though 2 of the 3 I have would be mother and father..

·
Registered
790 Posts
You should be fine on the inbreeding as long as there already from a good strain. Maybe in the future you might just see a few with dis-formations that you can quickly solve by culling the fish out.

When you moved the last three did they still have a small yolk sack left. If so you could have damage it during the move. If you ever strip a female and the fry still have a yolk sack, put the fry where you want them until this yolk sack is gone...ie the tumbler. After the yolk sack is gone you can then try moving them to a new enclosure for the to grow out in. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts