Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just shooting a few pics of the kilesa & callo tank.

Callochromis pleurospilus (Raspberry Ikola)
I played around with the "depth of field" affect on this one.

I have two successful spawns already from the callos and I have two females holding in the tank right now.
I believe this pic is from the 4th spawn. They seem to be happy.

Hope you like the pics :)

Russ

·
Registered
656 Posts
Nice pics Russ, I caught the sand sifter bug now and its partially your fault :lol: I just got a group of ectodus descampsii, and callo's are on my list for when I get more tanks set up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Really cool. You've given me the itch for sandsifters as well!

Could you tell us more about their behavior? I've been told they were suitable for smaller tanks (33-55G) but that the males were very intolerant of each other... I'm planning a tank similar to yours, Callo + Xeno/Enantiopus + Cyps micro, and anything you can say about them I would read eagerly! :)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shellies215 said:
Nice pics Russ, I caught the sand sifter bug now and its partially your fault :lol: I just got a group of ectodus descampsii, and callo's are on my list for when I get more tanks set up.
Glad I could help :wink:

Congrats on your new group :thumb:

Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kitana8 said:
Really cool. You've given me the itch for sandsifters as well!

Could you tell us more about their behavior? I've been told they were suitable for smaller tanks (33-55G) but that the males were very intolerant of each other... I'm planning a tank similar to yours, Callo + Xeno/Enantiopus + Cyps micro, and anything you can say about them I would read eagerly! :)
I've got four male callos and three females, the males have stacked out territories on opposite ends of the tank and will dig their volcano pits and work overtime to attract the females to their pit. Other males will come in and try to steal her and then their is a flurry of flashing activity.

Neither of these two species is shy. They will always eagerly greet you hoping to get fed.

Hope that helps :)

Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just stripped Group C about an hour ago and yielded 28 callo fry :eek:

That is, by far, my biggest callo spawn yet! From Groups A & B I have about 20 callo fry that are doing very well. So far, it seems like most callo fry end up surviving. I think there is a decent chance of at least 20 of Group C surving (hopefully more). Here is group C:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update on my Callochromis pleurospilus (Raspberry Ikola). These guys are very good breeders. I usually have a female holding most of the time. I have found the fry to be pretty easy to raise with very low mortality rates. Have my largest group of fry yet in the floating nursery (probably close to 30 - I'll count them when I move them to the fry tank). Here is a photo update.

Caught this little dude gaping

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couple pics of the adults too:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lovely mate, drooling, what size tank you keeping them in and how many in your group ?

Cheers, Sean

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kiriyama said:
Lovely mate, drooling, what size tank you keeping them in and how many in your group ?

Cheers, Sean
Thanks Sean :)

The adult callos: seven (3m / 4f) are kept in a 72-gallon bow front tank with eight Enantiopus kilesa.

Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moved 40 callo fry from a 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank. Had a lot of younger callo fry that didn't do to well with the larger fry. With the exception of fratricide, callo fry seem pretty durable. Will have to do a better job of keeping different sizes separate.

Summer is my busy season at work so i haven't paid the kind of attention that I should have to my tanks.

The larger callo fry are approaching 1.25 inches. They seem to grow pretty quick.

Have a female callo holding in the wild tank. I'll start a new fry tank for them since they don't do very well with larger size classes.

Russ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.