Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These boogers are tough to photograph! They constantly move around very fast and turn on a dime,... all the time. It took many shots just to get a few "decent" ones. That'll change when my daughter brings my DSLR back from school. Shutterlag with my point & hope camera is challenging with such a busy fish. I still haven't captured a shot that I am totally happy with.

My males are starting to color up more and more each day. Now they are getting a nice blue on the forehead which doesn't show up in the pictures yet. They are working hard at flirting with the females. They are fun to watch - I am beginning to appreciate them a little more.

Here's a few pictures, hope you like them...
Russ

Callochromis pleurospilus (Raspberry Ikola) - wild male

·
Registered
363 Posts
Stunner.

I have some tank-raised red rainbow C. pleurospilus, but they are still small. How are they aggression-wise? How large are they and how big is your group (ratio)? Tank size and tank mates?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mokujin22 said:
Stunner.

I have some tank-raised red rainbow C. pleurospilus, but they are still small. How are they aggression-wise? How large are they and how big is your group (ratio)? Tank size and tank mates?

Thanks in advance. :)

I have them with some Enantiopus kilesa and they really seem to be great tank mates. I have five of them (2m/3f) and they are in a 72 gallon tank and aggression is not a problem. I'd guess them to be about 4"

Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am pretty sure one of my females is holding :eek:

Now what?

This is a new species for me.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed a vulcano earlier this week in the callo/enant tank and it didn't look like the pit that the male enants create. Now I know who the builder was :wink: This female hangs back from the rest, doesn't eat, has something in her mouth and occassionally I catch her tumbling. She must be holding.

They are really fun to watch. They are like a cyp on steroids.

Callochromis pleurospilus (Raspberry Ikola)

Few more pics of the boys - this probably explains why they are coloring up and are getting into some battles.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured I'd clean the glass inside & out to attempt to get some better pictures. Been trying to figure out how best to photograph these guys. Think I'm getting closer. Hope you like the pics...

Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Furcifer158 said:
I bet the callo might of use the pit the the kilesa was making. My nodle bay callos did the same before I moved them.
Hey Furcifier, I am pretty sure it was their own pit judging by the looks of it. It was different than an enantiopus pit (smaller) and no sand castles.

Russ

·
Registered
790 Posts
congrats on the fry soon to be too.

I'm curious to know how many you get, my nodle bay females have always around 20 or so.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Furcifer158 said:
congrats on the fry soon to be too.

I'm curious to know how many you get, my nodle bay females have always around 20 or so.
I'll let ya know :)

She doesn't appear to have a lot - but what do I know?

Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Furcifer,

I only got these guys because they have been good tankmates with the enantiopus that I got from a friend. With the enants, I overlooked the callos as hyper silver minows. I have been paying a lot more attention to them and I really like them. My two males have colored up and have their territoties and spar right upto the territory line and then back off. LOL

The species artcile is right on about these guys...

Brett Harrington (aka Fogelhund) said:
Callochromis pleurospilus is a fish that is stunningly beautiful, in a very subtle way. You may not notice the colours from across a room, but once you get up close to a male who is displaying, it is an assault of colour you won't soon forget.
I am really liking these fish. Combined with the enants, I am not sure there is a more active Rift Lake setup. I don't do well with cyps and I see these guys filling that nitche for me - only with a lot more personality. They are like cyps on steroids only with a lot more personality.

Would you mind if I bugged you with a bunch of breeding & fry care questions?

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Furcifer158 said:
Bug away Razzo :thumb:
Thanks man!

1) I assume you strip the holding females - at what point do you strip and how?

2) What do you feed your fry.

3) How durable are their fry? More than an altolamp?

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I don't do well with cyps either! Unfortunately I do wrose with Callos! :-? I could get each of my females to spawn once and then within 3 month of them releasing fry... Dead! The male died last, the whole group of 5 (I think?) took a little under a year to perish, but they were adults when I got them so I don't know how old they were. I traded the fry off and heard that they died young for no apparent reason. :oops:

Yours are quite beautiful though, keep us posted, especially if they pull through. :thumb:
Sorry if this post was a downer :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ahud said:
I would love to see some videos of your males sparring!
That'll have to wait until May when my daughter comes back from school in Florida with my DSLR (which has 1080 HD video). Haven't used the video on it but this seems like a good project to try it out on.

They are funny - they have drawn an imaginary line down the center of the tank and they will take a run at each other but won't usually go past that line in the sand. They will also try to keep the females on their side of the line too :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sounds like a very interesting tank! I might have to try them in the future. I'm surprised your males share the tank so nicely. From the articles on them I thought they would be a lot more aggressive.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ahud said:
Sounds like a very interesting tank! I might have to try them in the future. I'm surprised your males share the tank so nicely. From the articles on them I thought they would be a lot more aggressive.
It is a very busy tank with the Enantiopus and Callochromis - I think that helps. It is so busy, it makes a Malawi mbuna tank look relatively calm :lol:

Russ

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well please keep us updated on any more interesting behaviors you see. I love threads like these :thumb:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.