Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of A. cacatuoides about a couple months ago after my last pair died from a petco neon die-off, followed with an ammonia spike, while I was out of town. This time they are being kept alone. I set-up a 20 gallon tall with some sand, various peices of wood, some live plants, terra-cotta pots and oak leafs. I've been feeding live bbs, frozen mysis, daphnia, and dry flake. I've also been doing 10-20% cold water changes twice a week, which always seemed to cause a bit of romance. I've been a bit pessamistic, thinking something should have happened by now. Last night and this morning, I noticed my female would come out of the terra-cota pot when I went to feed, which leads me to this post. I was about to ask advise on whether or not I should lift the pot to check for eggs. I didn't want to disturb things, but I wanted to know.

Anyway, before I began typing I went to feed my pair, waiting to see if my female would come swimming out of the pot. Instead of her, a little set of eyes and a little tail came out of the hole, a fry. I looked around the tank further and at the back by the heater, there were a bunch of them. They look as if they have been swimming for a couple days. I fed some decapsulated brine shrimp.

At this point, should I remove the male? There is a ton of cover and she doesn't seem bothered by him, but will he attack the fry?

I'm really excited about this suprise! :dancing:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
in a 20g tank, you should be fine to leave the male in there. With no dither fish, there is a chance that mom or dad will eat fry... it's an oddity, but it happens. Keep fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.
Watch the female in case her charges at the male become too aggressive. In a very large tank (3ft plus) you see normal behavior... the female charges the male and he goes around his whole territory putting other apistos and dither fish on the guard before returning to the female triumphant and welcomed back.

In smaller tanks, he doesn't go "do his job" and the female may 'remind' him until he is huddled in a corner up near the heater! I've had apisto females chase a male out of a 10g tank and onto the floor! :eek:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been a couple days since my discovery. Everything is going good! Lot of healthy fry swimming around. The male seems to understand his restraining order. :lol:

I'm trying to figure out how to move the fry in a week or two, when I'm assuming they will be ready for another spawn. The cover is pretty heavy and I really don't want to pull everything out. Maybe I could just siphon a few at a time. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My experience of cacatuoids is that the male will become a threat to the fry and the female will spend a lot of time defending the fry and could stress the male out or injure him. i allways remove the male (easier said than done though)
then the female will have a much happier time just herding the fry around the tank.
After about 2 weeks the female will kind of loose intrest in the fry and maybe eat some so i allways remove the female when i feel the time is right (again easier said than done) because its easier than removing the fry.

·
Registered
705 Posts
hey man in my experience with apistos. if you got a female covering a hole or cave excessively like that u probably have eggs. mine laid all the time in this peice of lace rock. always in the same hole. tiny red things. pretty hard to see and dont count on see the babies much for awhile. nightlights and dark substrate should keep numbers high tho, if u want to raise with parents. when i isolated from parents they didnt fare well. GL to ya

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
flashbang said:
My experience of cacatuoids is that the male will become a threat to the fry and the female will spend a lot of time defending the fry and could stress the male out or injure him.
That is not normal behavior for this species... It is rare for either parent to eat their own fry in my experiences (many breeding colonies, many tanks). I think you might be misunderstanding the females behavior... she doesn't go for the male because he is a threat... she flies at him because it triggers his territorial instinct and he defends the larger area.

FillingTheSilence, as I mentioned, you need to watch for the females charges in any smaller tank. If the male is getting hounded too much then he needs to be rescued. A females territory is around 1 to 1.5 ft... the males should be 3 to 4ft. If he doesn't go and patrol the 3 to 4ft range (which he cannot in a 29g tank) she "reminds him" again and again and again... she can literally hound him to death... gee, that almost sounds familiar... time to go mow the lawn!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't had any aggression issues with the pair. However, I did add 6 corydoras habrosus to help clean up un-eaten brineshrimp eggs. The cacs didn't take kindly to their new tankmates. They went after them pretty aggressively for a couple days. Things have settled down now, but after I added them I began seeing less and less fry evey day. I managed to move 5 fry to an grow out tank, but I haven't seen any others since then. I think the disruption caused the female to slowly eat the fry, but I can't say for sure what happened. There may still be some fry in there, but I haven't seen them. They are very small and blend in really well. I'm wondering now if I should remove the habrosus. :-? I'm thinking I may move the male after the next spawn and move the fry after a week or so. I have a couple fish stores that are interested in them, so fry survival is important.

Meanwhile, my angel pair have a batch of fry about to go free swimming. My last batch died shortly after the began swimming. I tried to feen live brine, but I never saw any fry eat, so I think they starved. I'm going to try decapsulated brine eggs this time.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
IME, cory cats and apisto fry don't mix. Cory cat fans swear that they wont eat fry, but like you, if they are in the tank then I find fry vanish...

pull em

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with corydoras in general, but everything I've read about the dwarf species suggest that they don't eat fry or eggs. I've even read that many breeders use them solely for fry tanks. Either way, they are not nessesary, so I think I will move them tommorow. I have another tank with 6 of them already.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you want something for a cleanup crew a BN would be better, but it might go after the eggs :( You can't win either way. I use small BN to clean fry tanks, but I've only raised fry with out the parents (Rams and Angels, and a few spawns of Cacatuoides)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I discovered another batch of fry today. I moved my male, so it's just mom and her babies. I have 2 lone survivors from the last batch, but i hope to increase that with this batch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts