Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I currently have a 29gal tank. I was already planning on putting 1m 2f of rams in it but i was wondering if I could put any other kind of cichlid in with them since rams swim in the bottem area of the tank.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
G'day rjh5791'

Which species of rams, Bolivians or Blue rams?

With either species, it would not be advisable to add another species of cichlid to a 29 gallon tank.

You could add a few SA tank mates though. Tetras, pencilfish and hatchetfish as differing dither fish. Otocinclus catfish as algea eaters, corydoras catfish as cleanup crew. And if you like, a small, fancy catfish, like a panaque or peckolita species.

·
Registered
377 Posts
rams are not harem breeders, so you dont need 1m/2f. You could get by with 1m/1f. Of course, your not going to fit 2 pairs in there, so if you want 3 fish you will need to go that way. A 29 is a pretty tall tank instead of wide, so if you go with bolivians, I would recommend 1 pair, the blue rams you could prob. get away with the 3 fish, but with the larger size of the bolivians, I would be hesitant to put 3 in there.

I agree with the above posters, dont put any other cichlids in there, build a nice community.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
If it's Bolivian Rams you're after - check out the articles section of the site I put together for Bolivian Ram enthusiasts! The 'Care and Maintenance' article should cover your general Bolivian Ram questions in regards to stocking, aquascaping, breeding etc...

www.BRC.moonfruit.com

In short, for a 30 gallon tank you can get away with 2males and 3 females or 1 male and 4 females assuming it is a well planted tank with plenty of territory markers and breaks in the line of sight. The articles on the site go further with pics. The particular article I am referring to can also be accessed via the link in my signature. On the BRC site you will also find a Sexing Guide.

Alternately if it's Blue Rams you're after then I recommend you check out their Profile here:
http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=421

I've generally found that Blue Rams work best as a pair to their own tank, or with a few hardy dithers that are capable of withstanding their preferred temperature (30C). Obviously the Blue Ram doesn't have to be kept at quite this, 28C is an acceptable medium, although the best colouration and highest spawn success rates occur in the higher temperature range (which is fairly limiting in regards to other fish.) I've not had too much luck with 1m 2f Blues finding that it was better to have 3f and 1m to a 30 gallon, as this ensured that aggression was properly dispersed in those tense moments. However due to the nature of the fish I've always preferred to keep a single pair to their own 15 gallon tank, allowing me to fully cater to their needs...

Good tankmates for Bolivians are, for example:

Lamp-eye Panchax - Aplocheilichthys macrophthalmus
Rummynose Tetra - Hemmigrammus bleheri
Marbled Hatchetfish - Carnegiella strigata
Corydoras arcuatus (if you're not too bothered about raising fry)

etc

I find those listed above to match well with the Bolivians colouration, creating a very pleasing over-all image that isn't too distracting in any one particular area. They are all suitable community fish that get on in peace and harmony :thumb:.

With Blue Rams I've never really kept tankmates on account of keeping them at the higher temperature, although Rummynose tetras have been used occasionally to relieve aggression during spawning, with much success.

Blair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.