Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 40g Breeder is almost cycled and I'd like to get some feedback on my potential stock. I want this to be a long term situation. I've kept salt water reefs and African Cichlid tanks for years so I'm well versed in the basics of good fish care, but this will be my first new world type tank.

1 Thorichthys, meeki

1 Herotilapia, multispinosa

1 Cryptoheros, sajica

6 Tiger Barbs (I know these are Asian, but I love them and they seem to keep aggression amongst themselves)

6 Corys

Any issues with these fish in this setup?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
869 Posts
ecrumpler,

First off welcome to new world cichlids, they are great fish. I think that the fish you chose are great for a first time new world community tank. I don't see any major issues with the compatibility of the fish. However I am a believer that when it comes to these fish that more space is always better. Because of this I would say that a 40 gallon might be a tight fit for the long term. I am sure you have heard this over and over but new world cichlids don't do well with over stocking like Africans do. If you are set on this size of tank it is truly best suited for a pair of cichlids of any of the ones you were interested in, not really great for a community setup. Larger tanks always mean healthier and happier fish. But whatever you decide good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice Cage623, I ended up going with one Firemouth, think it's a male, 1 female convict, and 8 tiger barbs. So far so good, but we shall see. Unfortunately my place is so small that a 3 ft tank is all I can swing. I have a 20g long on stand by incase I need to remove one of the cichlids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts