Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are feeding our tank stock with Spectrum Cichlid Formula (1mm pellets) and dried krill. We are feeding them once per day, with enough to eat within a minute. Previously, we were feeding them three times per day with similar amounts. On advice, we reduced the amount to once/day two weeks ago. We are just wondering:

How often should we feed them this amount (enough to eat in a minute)?
Is this current diet adequate?
What live foods are recommended for our fish stock?

You can view our stock in my signature

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
How often should we feed them this amount (enough to eat in a minute)?
I would continue to feed them once a day and give them only as much food as they can in eat a minute. I've found with my own fish that feeding them at the same time every day has 'trained' them to expect food at that time and allows me to walk by the tank, even stop at the tank, at other times of the day without them begging for food.
Is this current diet adequate?
What live foods are recommended for our fish stock?
Amount-wise, yes. For specifics on what individual species need I would post a question in the CA/SA folders and ask there.

I'll just add that you avoid all kinds of health problems by resisting the urge to over-feed your fish. I know, it's hard when they are constantly asking to be fed but its truly much better for your fish.

Robin

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I feed mine 1 - 3 times a day and it takes them a couple of minutes to finish but they do not leave anything in the tank. But just watch there bodies and you will know if they are not getting enough.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Fish can survive and grow on feedings of 30% of optimum, albeit more slowly. I feed my fish several times a day, especially if they are juvenile fish that are growing. However, increased feeding means increased maintenance. In the spring for about a month to six weeks, my fish have live food, in the form of daphnia and assorted aquatic insect larvae, in front of them 24/7. Growth rates in juvenile fish during this period are phenomenal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts