Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay then…..
For those of you that participated in the original set up thread in this forum section for the 46 gallon tank?

But, instead of all of us just saying ‘NOPE’, which I believe the OP received pretty loud & clear because of his unusual fish stocking choices…. How ‘bout we each contribute a set up post of our own for that aquarium? (And yes, @DJRansome maybe you can share a tank set up recommendation with us also) Here are the specifics of this aquarium so far,
- Empty 46 Gallon ‘Bowfront’ Style Aquarium: Dimensions are 36” X 12”(16” bowout) X 21”. Filtration is currently provided by a single Eheim 2217 Canister Filter (add more filtration if you like!).
All other items needed for the tank will be listed as part of your personal ‘build’ recommendation for the aquarium. Fish stocking choices should be listed for all fish species that will be at it (or their) eventual, Adult Sizes (No ‘GROW OUT’ tanks!). The intention is to set up a compatible group of something for the tank to run successfully, long-term.
Oh. And HAVE FUN!
Ready? (C-F member list below is In order of initial response to the OP),
@DJRansome
@Auballagh
@NeoBobRoss
@The Fish Lady
@Aussieman57
@TotoroTony
-
And of course… all participation in this thread, is strictly VOLUNTARY! (NOT ‘mandatory fun’).
Anyone else - please feel free to 'dive in' with a tank set up recommendation post also!
So, let’s doo eet’. :)

·
Administrator
41,837 Posts
Pool filter sand, Aqueon heater, rocks. I would actually do an Aqua Clear 70 HOB. Glass tops. Coralife light fixture.

Malawi: 3m:9f Chindongo saulosi
Victorian: 3m:9f Haplochromis Ruby Green
Tanganyikan: 1m:1f Altolamprologus calvus and 6 multifasciatus (plus whale eye shells). The calvus would start as six juveniles, form a pair, and rehome the other four.

Marine: Zoanthids. Equipment would be different.

·
Administrator
41,837 Posts
You can't eat just one.

Malawi: 3m:9f Aulonocara kandeense
Victorian: 3m:9f Xystichromis phytophagus ''Christmas Fulu''
Tanganyikan: 1m:1f Julidochromis sp. ''Ornatus Kombe'' Kombe and 1m:1f Lamprologus brevis.

Riverine: 3m:9f Pseudocrenilabrus Victorae. Or one male if too aggressive.

Thailand: 12 Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki loaches. Planted tank.

Reactions: Auballagh

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whew.....now THAT was quick! :oops:
(SOMEONE is having fun, I see....)
-
My recommendation is as follows,
EQUIPMENT
200W Hydor in-line (external) heater (mounted on Eheim discharge hose), additional AC70 HOB filter, Finnex 24/7 HCL LED plant light.

FURNISHINGS
Central American riverine set up. Pool Filtration Sand, Smooth Rocks!, Bog Wood, Non-substrate rooting plants = Anubias, Java Moss, Java Fern (tied-off/affixed, to wood and rocks).

FISH STOCK
  • 1 Pair, Amatitlania, nanoluteus, Yellow Dwarf Cichlid
  • 9–11 ea, Xiphophorus helleri, Swordtail fish (or various CA live bearers)

Reactions: Mazan

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like that CA idea a lot!

For a SA tank:

I won't go into equipment as what I can get here is mostly different to that available in the US. A basic LED light will be sufficient.

FURNISHINGS:
Sand substrate, driftwood, maybe some small river rocks, plenty of low requirement plants (eg Amazon sword, Vallisneria, Hygrophila, Cabomba, pearlweed for the foreground.

FISH STOCK
1 pair Laetacara araguaiae
10 tetras of choice (neons, or one of the smaller pink Hyphessobrycon species maybe).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Not my favorite tank but:
Poolfilter sand substrate with some natural colored pebbles mixed in.
Large Centerpiece Driftwood extending to surface.
Various Anubias attached to driftwood.
Java Fern attached to driftwood
Large school of Celestial Pearl Danios
Pair of Bolivian Rams for the bottom.
Hygger 24/7 planted LED light
Aquaclear 110 filter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi!😃
Let's see?? Hmmm???
I'd use the reddish colored pea stones
Some sort of canister system w/ uv light
Aqua heater big enough for a 50 gallon tank
A at least 14" air stone
A med. Sized tree stump
A bust of a Buddah god sitting on a turtle's large basking stand
Artificial plants in green and dark red in all different sizes
I'd use bottled spring water
My stock would be red and black Freshwater Angelfish and 4 African Aquatic Frogs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts