Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question? how does everyone feel about the c-560 marineland cansister filter? and would one be sufficient for a 75 gal cichlid tank with give or take 13 fish

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I think you mean the C-530. I have a C-360 and although it leaked once, I like the filter. It's extremely quiet and seems to filter pretty well. I would say yes one would be enough however I like to throw an HOB on to get some surface aggitation to assure oxygen exchange. I also tend to over filter some. However if you just use the C-530 you might want to look into a power head near the surface or maybe a DIY spraybar for the canister.

Marineland has really good customer service, so if you have a problem they will give you the part(s) you need shipped to your house for free. I got mine second hand and it was over 4 years old and they still sent me the broken part without question.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Not sure if you're buying a new one but after seeing prices for the C-530 online for around $190, I would spend the extra money and get a Fluval FX5. You get a lot more GPH and it's really big to fit a lot of bio media inside. I have seen them on a certain auction website for $225 shipped.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where did you see a fluval fx5 for that price? i have seen them in the 300s but not lower? the main reason i want to switch to canister over my 2 emperor 400s is a 3d background, a canister will be easier to hide

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
love everything about the filter except the output because I like surface agitation and it just doesn't provide enough, + 1 on the powerhead to help with that, i'd also invest in a surface skimmer attachement

1 - 6 of 6 Posts