Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you fill the canister with water or start it dry? The intruction don't say. But I read a post and this guy filled his. Thanks!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Put it on the tank empty and use the prime pump button on the top to get the water flowing in. Wait until you don't hear anymore water running in, then plug it in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that was easy. Left it empty, pushed the prime button twice and gravity took over.

This is my first canister filter. Sure is quiet compared to all my HOBs.

How do you airaite the water when using a canister? my spelling sucks!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Just make sure the output is disturbing the waters surface. That is all I do with my canisters and seems to work out just fine for introducing oxygen back into the water. Also if you can get the water from the bottom to keep cycling to the top and your good to go.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
you should only have to prime the canister the first time, once the hoses have water in them, the syphon should start right back up and fill the canister as soon as you open the vavle

I find it difficult to direct the flow of the c-series canisters, making it tough to get the ammount of surface agitation I want, this to me is the main flaw with them, and it's a huge flaw in my book

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are right! That was the first thing I noticed when I started it. The only way to get any surface agitation was to lower the water level. The filter really works great. My water is crystal clear. Im using my AQ70 from another tank to cycle so *** got some oxygen going back in the water. Isnt there a imput output kit you can buy with a spraybar? Or I could make something out of pvc. Any ideas would be great.

How close should the intake be to the bottom? The intake is short but I do have this canister on a tall tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called marineland. Give her the serial number and mines 2 years old. She told me what the serial number should end with on a new one. Call LPS where I bought mine and had the guy check the number on the other one he had in stock. Its this years model. So I'm going swap them out. For anyone that is thinking about buying a c-220: if the last two numbers are 32 it's new. If the last two numbers are 31 it's last years model and so on...

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
good to know, glad he will exchange it.

on a side note, eheim makes a spraybar kit, but don't think it fits marineland hoses, they are bigger than the eheim outlet hoses.

you might be able to buy the spray replacement from another type of filter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts