Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy some new fronts from Neptune Aquatics. I but 9 Moba on hold then started to think I can 16 1-1.5 and 7 2.5-3.5 Mpimbwe for the same price. I know that Mobas are the gem of the frontosa world but with the mpimbwe I would be getting over three times more fronts I'm trying to make a 300 gal look like it has some fish in it. I also here that the Mobas are harder to breed and like to hide. Just trying to get some different options.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
marco13 said:
I'm looking to buy some new fronts from Neptune Aquatics. I but 9 Moba on hold then started to think I can 16 1-1.5 and 7 2.5-3.5 Mpimbwe for the same price. I know that Mobas are the gem of the frontosa world but with the mpimbwe I would be getting over three times more fronts I'm trying to make a 300 gal look like it has some fish in it. I also here that the Mobas are harder to breed and like to hide. Just trying to get some different options.
The Zaire varients (Moba, Kapampa, Kitumba & Mikula) are, as you say "the gem of the frontosa world." That is not to say that the other varients are not awesome fish either. I like them all. What I would suggest, is to take your time and really figure out what you want. If you want Mpimbwe,... great (they are a beautiful cypho - my first colony was Mpimbwe). Every so often, you will see someone who really wanted a Zaire varient but chose a burundi or a tanz and then, later on, you see them not happy with that choice and then end up selling/trading those and getting a Zaire. My point with this is to encourage you to take your time, enjoy, and pick the right varient for your taste & budget.

Hope that helps.

Russ

·
Registered
746 Posts
marco13 I am going through the same problem and at the same LFS. But what sold me was the black tank at Neptune when you first walk. That Moba colony is just sooo nice to look at. And I know the pricing of the ones you are talking about - but they are also F1's so unless you don't care about that, you would have to compare prices to F1 of any other variant. And so far I haven't been able to find any other place that has sub-adult Moba's, let alone F1's. I also noticed that in the last week half of them are gone, so I think I need to go put some on hold as well. But its hard to drop that kind of money!

And I don't know if its true, but I have also read that all of the Zaire blues are hard to breed, Moba's being the hardest.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
boredatwork said:
marco13 I am going through the same problem and at the same LFS. But what sold me was the black tank at Neptune when you first walk. That Moba colony is just sooo nice to look at. And I know the pricing of the ones you are talking about - but they are also F1's so unless you don't care about that, you would have to compare prices to F1 of any other variant. And so far I haven't been able to find any other place that has sub-adult Moba's, let alone F1's. I also noticed that in the last week half of them are gone, so I think I need to go put some on hold as well. But its hard to drop that kind of money!

And I don't know if its true, but I have also read that all of the Zaire blues are hard to breed, Moba's being the hardest.
I think, to a certain point, your statement may be "somewhat" true but many people do breed Zaires with regularity. Other varients do breed easier, but once you create the right conditions your Zaires will consistently give you fry. I would not let that deter you.

I do not breed Moba; but, I know several people who have high quality F1 Moba fry. You will most likely be in an airport to airport shipping situation but that is not a big deal once you have done it. Shoot me a PM and I would be happy to refer you.

BTW: all other Zaires are inferior to the original Zaire... Kapampa :wink: :D

Tounge firmly in cheek,
Russ :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Razzo,

I would like to get in touch with different breeders, seems like it's hard to find any nice frontosas here in San Diego. I have 20 Burundi's but they don't look very good, some have mooning and one of them has 6 stripes on one side and 7 on the other. I think their Burundi’s it seems they throw a bunch of them in a tank and just label them Frontosa's. I'm fairly new to the frontosa hobby these are my first ones didn't know about all the in and outs. I've had them about 6 months so I'm kind of attached to them so to say watching grow up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Razzo is correct. Take your time and get something you won't regret. I personally prefer the Zaire variants. It took me awhile but I was eventually able to pickup a Moba colony. It was worth the wait. I personally like mobas and kapampas because of their intense deep blue coloring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts