Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I have a Bumblebee Cichlid that has developed a large bump above his mouth. It started out as two rather small bumps but now one of them has gotten big and looks like an open wound.

We have had him for over 2 years. We've not seen any agression in the tank.

I also noticed a Kenyi in the same tank that has a similar bump on it's tail.

Anyone have any thoughts on what this could be?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
How's the water quality?

I would first of all test it and then for the next several weeks do partial water changes of 30%, 3-4x a week. Use a good quality dechlorinator.
If your substrate is deeper than a couple inches I would first of all siphon it thoroughly and then remove some of it. Siphon it thoroughly regardless of how deep it is.

How long ago did you notice the bumps? Is the fish eating and swimming normally?

Some viruses will cause lumps such as you describe and unfortunately there's no med for them, but they don't always do anything harmful to the fish. I would start with the water and see how it goes from there unless these bumps have shown up and gotten worse quickly--like over a couple of days--then we may need to try a med just in case it's some sort of bacteria.

Robin

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. We do about a 70% water change every 2 or 3 weeks. The substrate is crushed rock and ranges from 1" to 4" depending on where the fish have been building.

Both eat and swim just fine.

I noticed the bumps about 4 weeks ago but they were very small and didn't seem to grow. About 2 weeks ago they started to get a little bigger then about 4 days ago it started to look like an open sore.

For filtration it is a 150g tank and we have a Fluval FX5 on it and 2 power heads to keep things moving around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts