Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my Red Devil makes me furious! Is there a way to stop my Red Devil from not moving the gravel around? An he HAS to dump it all in front of the tank. I don't bother designing my tank anymore, because he keeps ruining it. I was thinking maybe if I add rocks in the tank, then he may stop?

I read that its a nature of Red Devils to dig, but its really getting annoying.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Welcome to large fish - there is nothing short of a bare bottom tank that will keep him from doing what he see's fit in that tank. As far as he's conerned it's his now.

Alterenatively you could use large river rocks from Home Depot that he can't bulldoze around - but tank maintenance goes up with that as you have to move them around to get under them for debris.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
LOL Not laughing at you but at your RD. You have one of the coolest fish you could ever possibly own. Years ago I felt the same way when I bought my first RD. It made me soooooo mad I took him back to the fish store. After I took him back I realized just how cool he was. I mean he actually noticed me when I walked by the tank. He folllowed me and beg for my attention. My friends were in awe of his size (about 10") head hump and boldness. After a few days I had second thoughts and went back to the fish store to get him back......but he was gone. I couldn't find another one at the time. Now I have another big bad boy and I wouldn't trade him for the world. Just don't make the same mistake I did and get rid of him unless that's what you really, really want.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can tell how pissed he is when you move the gravel back to its original way. It's like it REALLY is his tank.

It freaks me out whenever he digs. I'll be working in the same room where his tank is, and suddenly you hear this very loud crackle of rocks falling in front of the glass. Do you think he can harm the glass if he keeps doing it?

I'm thinking its because he really has nothing to do in that tank. Its just a tank full of gravel and water. I'm thinking of finding him another way to kill time. Any suggestions? He loves to mess around with the table tennis ball, maybe i'll just leave it in there for him to play with.

If digging is his natural instinct or hobby, then there's obviously nothing I can do except remove the gravel from his tank. (but the tank looks so dull already, making it bare bottom would look so plain in my opinion.)

·
Registered
326 Posts
How big is the tank. Maybe get some dither fish, or a possible mate. They would still dig but at least it would be more interesting. I would like a wet pet in a 75 or 125 but the idea of buying something like that and putting the time and money in to it for one fish is just not justified for me. Please dont tell me you have him in something lesss then a 75.

·
Registered
586 Posts
He'll be likely to move everything you put in there. I have a texas red devil hybrid, and he has to have 3 almost square foot trenches at any given time. He also picks up rocks and move them that I would never think he could pick up, let alone swim with them in his mouth.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
fishlids said:
You can tell how pissed he is when you move the gravel back to its original way. It's like it REALLY is his tank.
It IS his tank. He's the one living in it, not you, so that makes it his territory. How would you like it if someone came into your house and rearranged everything to their liking instead of yours? You'd be pissed too :p

Look at it this way. It makes him happy, shows his personality, and keeps him occupied. You can try dithers and toys (mine have rubber cows, pigs, fish, etc in their tanks to play with) but it won't stop him from arranging his territory as he likes it. It's natural.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see, thank you for the advice.

do you really think silver dollars can survive with a red devil? I've never kept silver dollars, are they fast? i would love to have another fish in that tank, but I am to scared to keep one.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Silver Dollars, Convicts or Giant Danios would work. Danios are kinda spastic so they give a lot of action to the tank. They will also give your RD a lot to think about.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
I wouldn't use a convict...they can be stubborn and a RD would tear them to peices.

Silver dollars are very fast and wide - the red devil will chase em' around when he's bored.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have 5 females Convicts in with my male Midas/RD and they do fine. He tries to chaise them but they are way too fast. They circle around and come up behind him before he knows it. If your RD is a male it is best to get female Cons to put in with him. He will view them as less of a threat than a male Convict.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a female convict in another tank, i'll just drop her in and see what happens for a few minutes. If I add her in the tank, or add silver dollars, would you recommend putting some of the river rocks back in his tank?

Don't convicts love to fight back anyone who tries to mess with them? whether it's a Red Devil or another convict?

I don't want my convict to do anything stupid and end up getting eaten :(

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
That's what I'd worry about...

You'll want to feed the red devil while you add the other fish to distract it...adding more river rocks can help to break line of sight ect.

Silver dollars are so fast that your RD will never catch them, and they relegate themselves to the mid and top levels of a tank.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are silver dollars always moving? can 2 silver dollars work fine? quarter size? that's the only size they sell in my area.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts