Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to hook to glass tanks together. What type of bulkhead fittings do I need to do this with? They are going to be either 1 1/2" or 2" holes. I have found fittings that are threaded with 2 3/8" thread on them. Could I stick this fitting through both tank holes and use two washers and nuts or is there some other fitting I could get that I could hook the two together with pvc or hose? I am needing to keep them as close together as I can. Here is the site that I found the fittings on.
http://glass-holes.com/main.sc

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You can get the tanks closer by putting the threaded side with the nut inside the tank. It really doesn't matter which way you put them.

Those are short, which is nice since they wouldn't stick out into the tank too much. The only problem though is because they are thread, it will be limit how closely they can be attached to one another on the flange side.

If you can find slip ones (I know they're available in the black, but longer types ones) then you can glue them together using a piece of pvc tubing. Threaded sides remain out and in the tanks. That could make your space only as wide as the thickness of the two flanges.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my fittings and hole saw today from http://glass-holes.com/main.sc, and I have never used these before. They are threaded on the inside side of the(flanged side), and are smooth inside on the nipple side. Can you just slip a piece of pvc in the end without gluing it? If I can't do that without glue, will it still work the same putting the flange on the outside of the glass so I can use the threads on the inside of the flange?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Doesn't sound like you got the right bulkheads. If you want to get those tanks as close together as possible you need the inside of the flange end to be smooth. Then you can glue a piece of PVC pipe between the two flanges so that they literally butt up against one another.

If it works for you having the flanges inside the tank and you attach them with a piece of PVC in the same manner to the nipple side you still want to use glue.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Doesn't sound like you got the right bulkheads. If you want to get those tanks as close together as possible you need the inside of the flange end to be smooth. Then you can glue a piece of PVC pipe between the two flanges so that they literally butt up against one another.

If it works for you having the flanges inside the tank and you attach them with a piece of PVC in the same manner to the nipple side you still want to use glue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts